Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cyberknife Questions...

My understanding is that with the hypo-fractionated delivery, patients receive a total dose of 35 or 36.26 Gy’s. Since normal radiation treatments deliver more like 79-80 Gy’s, does this mean that if Cyberknife treatment fails – one still could receive an additional 35 (or so) Gy’s of radiation for salvage treatment?

My understanding is that the gold fiducials stay with you forever. In the event that salvage treatment was someday required, would they be of any help?

In my Cyberknife studies I found a paper that claims additional rectum protection by using a balloon (like proton treatment uses) with the Cyberknife, does anyone know if any Cyberknife Centers are using the balloon?

Re: Cyberknife Questions...

G'day Sundog,

Can I suggest you mail Jon Nowlin who is considering Cyberknife. He is VERY thorough in everything he does and investigates and I am sure he'll be happy to help you.

This document - Inert liquid-to-solid gels for prostate-rectum separation during prostate radiation therapy published in November 2010 - may be of interest to you and other men contemplating radiotherapy

All the best
Terry in Australia

Re: Cyberknife Questions...

Thanks Terry!

Actually I have been in touch with Jon for a few months and he has been very responsive and helpful! (Thanks again, Jon!) – Jon helped peak my interest in Cyberknife.

And thanks for your link to that study, very interesting; some sort of spacer seems to make so much sense (assuming that the inert gel doesn’t cause any problems – and apparently it doesn’t). Encouraging that the medical community continues to work at refining radiation treatments to decrease negative side effects.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS