Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lupron and Proton Therapy

6/21/12 - My question is simple. I'm trying to determine if the continuation of LUPRON (hormone therapy) beyond the completion of PROTON therapy provides enough benefit to merit doing so in spite of my experience of difficult side effects.

Here are the details: Age: 67 PSA prior to treatment regimen 14, Gleason 7 or 8 depending upon which of two readings are used, biopsy showed 4 of 14 core samples positive (< 5 - 10% in all) General health excellent.

Recently completed (6/13/12) 44 sessions of PROTON (not photon) therapy at Indiana University. One month prior to start of radiation, I was given Casodex and was told this would limit the ability of my testosterone to bind with the PCa cells. After completion of 30 days of Casodex (with no apparent side effects) I was given a 3 month injection of LUPRON to "shut down the production of testosterone" within my body. I'm quite certain this "chemical castration" worked. My libido is almost totally gone. Ability to get erection down to maybe a 4 or 5 (on a scale of 10). The side effects of the Lupron were awful: considerable loss of stamina, day after day of fatigue, hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain over 20 lbs, occasional rip-snorting headaches, muscle and joint discomfort. I was told this was all "normal" and attributable to the hormone therapy.

My question is this. I was advised to continue the Lupron with a 2nd injection. I have concerns about going another 3 months in consideration of the above side effects. I also am concerned about the possible development additional side effects, including cardiac problems as well as another phenomenon I've read about called "Lupron brain" in which the hormone apparently affects your ability to think clearly.

In light of the above, I'm trying to determine if there are compelling reasons why I should continue with the Lupron. Or, are there other options to consider?

Re: Lupron and Proton Therapy

EPY,
Yes, do the next 3 months. Compelling reason is it improves the chance of being cured by about 25%. Ask if they have one-month injections; people seem to have an easier time with those.

Try to exercise as much as you can, it will help. As far as weight gain goes, I put on 10 lbs and I was eating less than 1500 calories a day and burning off 300 calories on an exercise bike every day!

Re: Lupron and Proton Therapy

EPY,
I agree with Frank. Get the shots. I finished 45 proton treatments at UFPTI in Dec. They wanted me to get 2 3-month shots, but I got them to agree to 6-one month shots (Trelstar).
A fellow patient I knew during treatment got the 3-month shots and I just seen him at our 6 month check-up. He complained of much the same symptoms as you. The only symptoms I had were hot flashes and they were very minor.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS