Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fatigue from Radiation/Brachytherapy

Can anyone who has had the above treatments tell me to what degree they suffered fatigue and how long did it last after treatment?
Ken (from New Zealand)

Re: Fatigue from Radiation/Brachytherapy

Ken,
I had 66 Greys of external beam radiation treatment over 33 days and I felt energized from the treatment but I think my experience was quite unusual. I often went out for a 5 km run later in the day after the radiation treatment.

Ken,

I completed Brachytherapy in September 2011. It did not make me feel fatigued at all. The IMRT I had prior to the Brachy may have effected me a little, but I was working some long hours at the time, and driving 50 miles each way to receive the IMRT. I can't say for sure it was caused by the radiation. Oh yeah, I was only 46 at the time....which might have something to do with not feeling farigued.

Ken:
I had proton radiation three years ago, five days a week for two months. Played a lot of tennis and engaged in all my other usual activities with little or no fatigue. Few complaints if any from others as near as I can recall.

I had IMRT radiation for 8 weeks. This was 4 months after open surgery and I had been on Lupron for 2 months. I experienced little or no fatigue. I was also doing daily workouts. I think that if you are in reasonable shape you shouldn't experience serious fatigue. Of course everyone is different.

Wendell

Ken,
I have had 26 of 44 IRMT radiation treatments for a total of 79.2 Gy when I complete. No fatigue yet. I am walking as much as possible and eating a balanced diet. Drinking lots of water and I am urinating more often. When you have to go , YOU GOT TO GO !
Good Luck and Best Wishes !
James C.

Ken'
Had Brachy/IMRT 3 years ago. No fatigue to speak of. I was working out 3 days a week, walking, and playing golf. I think it is important to have a regular excercise program while undergoing treatment as it is the best way to avoid fatigue that is associated with radiation treatments.

I had extreme fatigue during my brachy and external but blame it on the Lupron that was concurrent with radiation. I had two years of the drug and it took an additional 9 months before I started feeling increased energy. - p (Alaska, USA)

Radiation following seed implant in 2007/2008.

Fatigued, to the point of taking time off work (bus driver), after fourth week. Fatigued for a couple of weeks after radiation.

had 23 sessions of EBRT and HDR Brachytherapy and was extremely fatigued, I put it down to Zoladex, on that for 15 months and still have some fatigue even tho' my last shot was 15 months ago. Testosterone level is extremely low and hypo thyroidism, hence fatigue, doc is consulting with oncologist to see where to go from here. Exercise? certainly, and it helps very much but there are times when I have on the lead suit.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Its clear that people who are in good physical condition and are able to exercise are not so badly affected. It seems my age and physical condition work against me. Neither Urology nor Oncology want to carry out this kind of treatment on me. I guess I'll just have to use will power.
Ken

hi my name is Tom i am a 72 year old white male who just completed 44 imrt treatments and i 6 month lupron treatment. 2 weeks into the sessions i became very tired later diag with anemia. I talked to oncologist radiation dr and he said that it could not be rads. but itv was just worse than most i am overweight and not very active probably the reason. but never the less I am still fatigued 2 extra naps daily . psa at start was 4.4 gleason of 3+4 t2a stage good luck tom by the way I would do over again if I had to god bless

I recently went through the same treatments. I am 61 and I also felt more fatiqued. I do not know if it was from stress, getting up early for treatment, Lupron or radiation. I am now waiting for the Lupron to wear off. It has been over 8 months from the start of my 6 month treatment.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS