Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Decisions

Welcome to the Club you never wanted to join Ron. You must still be in the state of shock we were all in for the first few weeks and months after diagnosis. That’s not a good time to make a decision that will change your life significantly. Although you say At some point I have to make a decision… that may not be strictly speaking correct for reasons I set out below, but even if you do have to make choice in therapies, it doesn’t have to be right now. There are many studies that show that a delay of weeks, months or even years will not affect the outcome for men with a diagnosis like yours.

I say you may never have to make a choice of treatments because the details of your diagnosis point to your having been diagnosed with one the indolent forms of the disease, as most men are. This article suggests that there are at least 24 variants. If your diagnosis is correct you are unlikely to be at significant risk from the disease. As you may be aware, your Gleason Score is the entry level for a diagnosis. If it were any lower, you would not be said to have prostate cancer – see GLEASON SCORES

You also say I am not prone to wait. …….While radiation is convenient, it just kills what's there. Surgery takes the cancer out, it's gone.

I think it I important to understand one thing as far as the last of the statements is concerned. Choosing surgery cannot guarantee a ‘cure’. The rate of what is termed “biochemical failure” after surgery is about 25% although the precise estimate varies from study to study and at least one study reports surgical failure up to 20 years after the procedure. That is why men who choose surgery have to have regular PSA tests for the rest of their lives.

The position with radiation – and any of the other therapies – is not much different. All have failure rates, all have unfortunate side effects. And there are no good studies which show that one is significantly better than any other. This highlights the biggest problem we all faced – there is no certainty, not definite guide as to what is best for us. That is why it is important to talk to people, to read their stories and find what choice you think would suit you best.

If y want to start by gaining an understanding into my thinking and why I chose not to have therapy when I was diagnosed 16 years ago, go along to WHY I DID NOT CHOOSE SURGERY OR ANY OTHER TREATMENT

Good luck whatever path you choose – and keep asking questions, here or on other Forums.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Ron,
Something to think about is that there will be better treatments with fewer side effects in ten years when you might need to do something about your "almost" case of prostate cancer. There is some discussion in the medical field about not even calling what you have as cancer.

Terry, thank you and all who have written in response. I have been talking to people, and reading...and talking...and reading. It is a lot to cover over a period of time.

You are correct in that, now that I have had some time to think, I don't need to act right now, this summer or this year. Your email read like calming assurance and I appreciate that.

I will continue to educate myself, do my homework and listen to my body.

Again, thanks for the website, and the resources.

Best,

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS