Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FYI: A Warning about Misinformation on an MRI following a Biopsy

Alan,
Thanks for the clarification. Actually, mine was a bit different. I was planning to fly out to CA (I live in NC) and get a targeted biopsy from Dr Bahn, when I found out that my local hospital had a new MRI that was supposed to be able to spot PCa tumors. The MRI and biopsy were not done at the same procedure. The MRI was done first and created a CD containing a series of scans which clearly showed the tumor. Using these pictures as a guide, my new uro was able to put 6 cores into a small 1cc tumor. My biopsy was "targeted" but not "real-time" targeted like Dr Bahn and his CDU.

Alan,
I would go back to the doctor/department who gave you the MRI & demand a second MRI at no cost because the first scans are unuseable.
I feel that your case would be stronger if you remember who said that it's OK to have the MRI
and if the radiologist had in your file the date of your biopsy and yet still went ahead & gave you the MRI. If they won't refund your complete $4000,
maybe they'll give you a 50% reduction.
Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice, which I'm going to follow through on. I found this passage on the following website which I am going to use as the basis of my argument: www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=mr_prostate

"MRI cannot always distinguish between cancer tissue and inflammation or presence of blood products within the prostate, which sometimes occurs related to a prostate biopsy. To avoid confusing the latter with the former on imaging, prostate MRI should be performed more than six to eight weeks after prostate biopsy, if possible, to allow remnants of bleeding to resolve."

If I fail, it won't be for lack of trying (and, at the very least, I'll still be thankful that the cost did not come out of my own pocket). Wish me luck.

Alan M in the USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS