Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSA rising - testosterone or cancer

Here are my three thoughts, Steve:

1. Have all the tests been done by the same laboratory using the same manufacturer's test? There are more than 24 manufacturers and one of their results are precisely correlated.
2. No decision should EVER be contemplated or made based on a single unusual PSA test. It is not an accurate test and is subject to unexpainable variances.
3. You still have a prostate gland (or the remnants of one). That may be leaking PSA from any number of causes and is measurable now that yo are off ADT, which would have suppressed the PSA numbers.
4. You might like to read some of the problems with ULTRA SENSITIVE PSA

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Terry in Australia

Thanks Terry.

Yes all tests from day one have been at the same lab...

It sounds like you are advising me to relax and see what we see in three months.

Fun to reach around the world to talk...

Steve in California

Diagnosed 2006 treatment and worries similiar to yours, I have now experienced 2 psa "bounces" since stopping Lupron which is not unheard of after brachytherapy. Statistics show that for some psa can continue to fluctuate for up to five years before reaching a nadir or constant level. The "bounces" also do not seem to corellate to treatment failure.
My testosterone level took over nine months to return to normal and during this time I experienced a significant psa bounce that went back down after a couple of months, about a year ago I had consecutive increases up to 0.43, but it went back down to 0.20.
Hope this helps - p (Alaska, USA)

Steve,
The Lupron was suppressing your psa well below natural levels and as it wears off it should settle into a range that is low and stable. You should expect psa after seeds and radiation to be in the .1 to .2 range, so you still have some increases ahead of you.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS