Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YANA-3 Changes for the better

As the number of men sharing their stories on the site kept growing to over one thousand, I knew there had to be a better way of handling the task of uploading and updating these. I didn’t know how to do it so I put out a call for help and the men who responded are acknowledged here ABOUT US

Mark Freedkin took charge of the project and put in countless hours to achieve the objectives. In this he was assisted primarily by Gary Petersen who also put in many hours and had some excellent ideas. Other men helped as and when they were asked to do so. The outcome of the project will make a big difference to the men who follow us in finding information that is helpful to them.

The first and, we think, most useful change is that the new data base is searchable by a number of criteria. This will help newly diagnosed men in particular get close matches with their own diagnosis to see what other men – and why, and what the outcome was. The new index is at Survivors Stories Please note that if you have contributed your story and bookmarked the URL address, this will have changed. Look for your story in the new index, click on it and that is your new address to be bookmarked. The old version of your story will be taken down during the week and will no longer be accessible after that.

The second aspect of the current changes is that the input forms for new stories and for Updates have changed. Any information entered will go directly into the data base and, after moderation, will be posted permanently. We are aiming to make updates posted immediately once we have dealt with security issues. If you have not put your story on the site go along to JOIN US

Those of you who have already shared your experiences but who have not updated your story, should do so now by going along to UPDATE . It is SO important to update your experience at least every 12 months so that newly diagnosed men get a clear idea of likely outcomes over time.

There will be more improvements on the site when we recover our breath.

My thanks again to all concerned.

Re: YANA-3 Changes for the better

Thank you Gregg (RIP) and TerryGeorgeMarkTomEric, EricPaulRonChrisIvyJohnDavidMarkJonGaryTimScottyDavidDonRayDinoGregScottSteve, Heros All!

I love the new Index for Survivors Stories. From a list of 1,082 stories, I can quickly go the the SEVEN with my Gleason 6, T1C, PSA 4's, Age 60's and choice Non-Invasive, AS!

And, as I have filed our income tax and received our refund: I am reminded that it has been some time since I have made a donation to help cover YANA expenses. I'll hit that Donate button next, and encourage all my fellow travelers, beneficiaries of the wealth of knowledge found here, to do the same.

Thanks again and best to all from Indiana,
Roger

Re: YANA-3 Changes for the better

First up, an apology to Gary Peterson, whose name I misspelled in this thread. So sorry Gary. and thank you again for all your input over the years.

Thanks you for your kind words, Roger, and your very generous donation. I don't make much of an issue about seeking donations because I have always felt that there should be no pressure on anyone to pay for information that should be provided for them by their doctors in return for their very high fees.

BUT, having said that, the funds I receive do come in handy to offset the costs of running the site (which are kept very low and are paid mainly to keep advertisements off the site) and for distributing hard copis of my booklet A Strange Place . I have sent out almost 800 of those for men who do not have access to the Internet.

AND....I have squirrelled away the surplus in the hopes that one of these days I'll find the time to write and publish my book which may reach the wider, non-Internet based audience who may get some help from it.

One final point - there are many links on the site which need altering. If I hadn't been so dopey from my last trip overseas I might have got most of them done, but for the moment when you click on a link you may not get to a new page. I'm sorry about that and am doing my best to correct it as soon as possible.

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS