Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hip, Groin, Buttock Pain..is it bone mets?!

Hello Forum..

I am 42 years old diagnosed with Gleason score 3+4 =7 prostatae cancer, 3 out of 10 cores positive...my PSA is 3.55 at last test.

I am scheduled for a RRP on March 20, and although I am a bit nervous about the procedure and the possible outcomes, something else has been really starting to make me very anxious...

I have had hip, buttock, groin pain,and I'm worried about bone mets. I have mentioned this to all 3 of my doctors, two urologists and my GP. They all say that the chances of bone mets with my clinical data are practically nil and that a bone scan is not necessary. Also I've had this pain on and off for probably 6 or 7 years, and they say that if I've had the pain for that long that I would have had to have contracted PC sometime in my early to mid-30's, which is highly unlikely.

Of course all this makes complete sense, but I can't help but to worry. I come across websites that note chronic hip and back pain or stiffness is a symptom of advanced PC and all reason goes out the window. It's hard to find good data on PC bone mets incidence/probability

Anyone have any info on this or care talk me down?

Thanks

Re: Hip, Groin, Buttock Pain..is it bone mets?!

HR:
You're starting to get a little older now. I went through the same thing at your age.

Hate to tell you, but it gets worse...

Don

I went and am going through the same thing. Prior to surgery I had chest discomfort and I was concerned it was related to PC. The discomfort has gone away and it has been 2 years since surgery. I now have discomfort in my upper left leg and I worry it might be related. I think worrying about every ache and pain is an emotional side effect of PC

At 3:00 AM in the morning we all experience bone mets. Fortunately in your case you will find it disappears if you stop thinking about it :-) After surgery it will only get worse because you will have alot more unusual pains which will just feed your paranoia. Post surgery you won't get mets pain until your PSA is greater than about 10.

I understand how you feel. I was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago (Gleason 3+4+7, 6 of 12 cores, 7.6 initial psa). After my diagnosis, I read and studied everything I could about prostate cancer. After reading about the progression of metastatic prostate cancer and bone metastases, I began to experience pain in my left femur, which persisted and worsened. The more I thought about it, the worse it got. I was terrified of mets. Eventually, a kind doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety medication (which I'd never taken before). After going on the medication, the pain stopped.

I feel your pain (or did). I, too, was told that the likelihood of metastases with my numbers was quite low, even though my anxiety about it was quite high.

Good luck with the treatment! Life gets better!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS