Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Decision process

I concur with the suggestion that you do not treat your prostate cancer as needing immediate attention. I've had surgery myself and it has worked well for me. However I do not think you should do the same at this point. If the DRE's are good and the PSA does not rise significantly then watchful waiting is appropriate. I don't have any knowledge to share regarding the other issues.

Thank you folks for all the great advice. I have settled somewhat since the initial shock of the diagnosis and have decided on a plan that I believe makes the best sense for me.

I am talking to a radiologist to discuss my options there on Friday. That will complete consultations with Oncology, Urology and plan to have my pathology re-read by another lab.

In April I am having the HoLEP performed to reduce the size of my prostate and relieve the outlet flow obstruction and the have the pathology read on that tissue which I hope will yield about 30 G. If this shows no worse cancer than the 3+3=6, I plan to pursue Active Surveillance with Vanderbilt or Johns Hopkins.

Hoping I am making the right call as I work my way through the maze and once again appreciate all of you.

Have you read the stories that men who chose not to have immediate therapy have put on the site?

If not go to Treatment Experiences and click on the Active Surveillance link.

I declined to have therapy in 1996 when I was diagnosed and am happy with my decision. You can read my story here

Good luck whichever path you take

Terry in South Africa

Thanks Terry.
Your decision process and posts give me great encouragement that I am on the right track for me.
I am to meet with Dr Ballentine Carter at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore on the 28th of this month to discuss the Active Surveillance program and study they are conducting. My pathology is being re-read at Johns Hopkins as we speak and if they concur with Vanderbilt's reading, I believe it is the right road for me.
My current plan, unless it is derailed at that meeting, is to proceed with the HoLEP procedure at Vanderbilt on April 25 to reduce the BPH symptoms and then join the study.
I hope that my journey goes as well as yours seems to be going and each day brings new hope for better answers and treatments for Prostate Cancer.
God Bless and Thanks Again.,
Bill

Hey folks,
I realized I have been negligent in my follow up when I received an email from a new friend having similar issues.

First let me thank those who took the time to read about my problems and offer advice and compassion.

I decided to go with the HoLEP procedure for the urinary outflow issues and to monitor my PC by Active Surveillance. I had the surgery on June 25, 2012 after consults with Johns Hopkins Dr. Carter, Dr. Burris at Tn Oncology here in Nashville and Dr. Miller at Vanderbilt.

Dr. Nicole Miller performed the HoLEP surgery with Dr Sawyer on the last procedure of his fellowship. He is now in Virginia and I would highly recommend him to anyone. The surgery was completed on that morning and I stayed overnight in the hospital at Vanderbilt with no complications. The flush catheter was removed at about 5 a.m. and after about an hour I urinated with no problem. After my second urination I was discharged around noon and went home.

I had no pain, bladder spasms problems other than taking a daily nap for the first week, which is unusual for me. I was on lifting restrictions but able to get back on my treadmill, level and a slightly slower pace in about 5 days. Went out to eat and because I was passing blood (pink) at the beginning of the stream, Dr Miller had me take it easy for the first six weeks just to play it safe. At my checkup my flow was 792 ml at 39 ml/sec. I had some minor incontinence for about 2 weeks when I moved in such a way that pressure was applied to the area or I sneezed, etc.
No problems now.

Dr Miller decided that my biopsy was proven accurate when there was no cancer found in the 30 grams of tissue removed. I have a small amount of 3+3=6 gleason, 5% in 2 of 9 cores on the left side periphery.

I go for my first PSA on Oct 9 to get a new baseline and we will follow the Active Surveillance guidelines along with the VA and my AO buds.

Thanks again for the support and wanted to let you know how things were going. Too many times when it goes well we don't let other folks know and I wanted to make sure to do my part.

Bill

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS