Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Follow up on my father

Hello everyone, thank you for your feedback regarding my father. He had a follow up appointment yesterday with a urologist, and was told that he would not be a candidate for the robotic surgery because he has had a TURP already. He was also told that because one of his core biopsies had a Gleason score of 4+5=9 it puts him into the high risk category.

He goes tomorrow for a bone and CT scan to see if the cancer has spread..the Dr. said there is only a 10% chance that it has.

My question for all of you veterans is... he was told that IF they find in either of the scans that it has spread, he cannot have surgery and will have to go down the path of radiation, hormones, etc.. Is this true? He will be going in for a second opinion if the scans come back positive..but I just wanted to see if these were your experiences as well.
Thank you for your time
By the way, my Dad will be 63 tomorrow

Re: Follow up on my father

Megin,

The simple fact is that there is no point in cutting out the cancerous prostate if the cancer has spread elsewhere in the body. A systemic treatment is then required. This will act on the prostate and all other sites and will provide a measure of control. Cancer in the prostate rarely kills. Metastases elsewhere unfortunately can if not treated. Make sure your Dad sees an Oncologist soon as well as the Urologist.

Good Luck

David in England

Re: Follow up on my father

Thank you very much David. We are all just nervous. He went for his bone scan today, and his CT scan will be tomorrow. We are saying prayers that the scans are clean and he can have surgery. If the scans are not clean, he will most definitely be seeing a urologist as well as an oncologist. Thank you again for responding!

Kind Regards,
Megin

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS