Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To hifu or not

John, I was 58 and had 3.2 PSA. I looked into Hifu as there's a top facility for that procedure a few miles from my home. I opted to have it removed instead. I wanted the odds in my favour.

Re: To hifu or not (Proton Beam Therapy as a possible less invasive alternative)

John,

I just wanted to follow-up on my last post with another less invasive treatment option to explore other than HIFU. I am talking about proton beam radiation therapy. I've only begun to research this option myself, so please do not take this as a recommendation. My area of research as far as treatment options are concerned has largely focused on surgery and HIFU. It's just that you give me the impression that you are looking for a less invasive option and, in my early research on the subject, proton beam therapy looks promising.

So far in my research I like what I have read about the minimal side effects, but at the same time, I have concerns about a lack of long-term comparative clinical studies and data. When a relatively new procedure that is a MAJOR investment for a hospital is heavily promoted ahead of reliable long-term data, IMO, there is good reason to be concerned. Still, I think it is worth researching further, which I personally will be doing because I have many questions about it yet to be unanswered. You can, of course, Google the subject where you will find a lot of information on its pros and cons, and you can find out even more about it on this very site (both in the Experiences section and on the Forum). For the Experiences section, simply go to the homepage and type "proton beam therapy" into the search box. From there you can click on any one of approximately 128 stories from YANA members. To find information on the Forum, simply use the index that I mentioned in my last post. Once again, good luck and best wishes!

Alan in the USA

I’m strictly a beginner (so don’t rely on my thoughts, I’m only trying to learn about all this prostate stuff).

If I understand your situation correctly, you are considering having treatment even though you have not had a biopsy?

Is an MRI-s considered so conclusive that a biopsy is no longer suggested? (Or is it simply that you haven’t got a biopsy yet, and are thinking ahead)?

Also wondering about your PSA, (as PSA varies by up to 33%). In my recent experience my PSA of 4.2, tested 2 months later came out to 2.9.

Sorry if my questions are naïve, all the best to you!

John,

Could you expand on how you have been diagnose as having prostate cancer with no biopsy.

In my sixteen years with an interest in this disease I cannot recall this ever happening to anyone previously???

Terry in South Africa

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS