Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the RIGHT Strategy or Philosophy? IMO, the WRONG Way to Look at It

Even though the February 15th reply posted by Bob prompted me to write this, I decided to list it as a new post since the recent replies to the original PCa Statistics post have not really been about statistics at all (& this isn’t about statistics either).

Let’s not forget that a strategy (or philosophy) that works for one man does not necessarily make it the right course of action for someone else to take. For example, Bob has a philosophy & outlook that is very positive and works for him. I am glad for him & wish him all the best. However, when he say that “age is unimportant”, that may indeed be the case for him, but it is not necessarily the best philosophy for someone else to have. In the above-mentioned PCa statistics post, I said that it is important for every man to look at and evaluate his circumstances alone & decide a course of action based on them, not on national mortality statistics. That being said, IMO, it would be just as unwise for a man to base his decision on what someone else on this (or any other) forum has said or decided to do.

I may be wrong but, based on the replies of some people asking for help on this site , I get the impression that that there are readers out there who give too much weight to the mindset & course of action taken by others. I sincerely hope that is not the case. IMO, the views expressed on this forum (including my own) should only serve to compliment a man’s research into his own condition, not replace it.

As I finish up, I can’t help but think about a couple of things Yoda said to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. I am paraphrasing when I say it went something like this: “If you choose the quick & easy path.....forever will it dominate your destiny.” In other words, if you base your strategy on what someone else on a forum has said or done, then you MAY suffer the long-term consequences of a hasty & poorly made decision. So, it may just be a couple of movie lines, but there is wisdom in those words that a person needing to make a PCa decision can learn from. May the decision you make be the right one for you!

Best Wishes,
Alan in the USA

Re: What is the RIGHT Strategy or Philosophy? IMO, the WRONG Way to Look at It

I'm no Yoda to Alan's Luke Skywalker, but I thought the aims of the Yana site, including this Forum were rather well encapsulated in the welcoming message summarising OUR AIM:

To provide comfort to any man diagnosed with prostate cancer, to offer thoughtful support to him and his family and to help them to decide how best to deal with the diagnosis by providing them with and guiding them to suitable information, being mindful at all times that it is the individual's ultimate choice that the path he decides to follow is his own and that of his family, based on his particular circumstances.

This, so I thought anyway was reinforced by this statement on TREATMENT EXPERIENCES

The accounts on the site are based on information received from our contributors and they may not be completely accurate. We hope they may provide you with an insight into how others have dealt with the issues that you now face. The stories and charts provided are for your information only, and show a brief summary of what others have done. They should not be used for making your own treatment decision. Please be aware that there is much more to the decision making process, as you will see if you go to Treatment Choices.

Terry,

Don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with the goals & purposes of this site that you just listed in your last post. Quite the opposite. I think that the two statements you highlighted are EXACTLY how the forum & treatment experiences on this site should be viewed.

As I said in my post, I COULD BE WRONG, but I get the IMPRESSION that some readers don’t follow the excellent advice that you give regarding the information & advice offered. I even wonder how many of the readers have even read the passages that you have highlighted. For example, I am a reader and, personally, I had not until now. If I had, I could have just as effectively gotten my point across by cutting & pasting what you already wrote than sitting down & writing it myself (because I could not & did not say it any better).

I am still glad that I wrote it though because, as a result of my post, you printed on the widely read forum two passages that should be required reading for every visitor. Also, I believe that it is good for the readers to see that the respected leader of this site shares the same overall view. So, thank you for the reply & for posting those two passages.

Sincerely,
Alan in the USA

I am going through my experience right now and have felt this site has abeen agreat help to me to help me identify which direction to take. In my situation, I have every option available and I am young (46). I originally assumed I would go the radiation route but in the course of investigating realized that it can be as invasive as surgery and if it does not take, then I have a harder road ahead. Surgery was the last thing on my list but as it has turned out, I think I have the best chance for long term survival/cure with surgery - and I will know exactly what type I had and truly how far it has spread afterwards. Continence and Potency are also very important but the risk is real with any treatment and cure has to be number 1 on my list. I used the spreadsheet of all previous members to help guide me initially and IMO I found surgery had a slightly better track record but also a much longer track record. It's gonna suck for awhile no matter waht i do but at least from the minute I wake up from surgery, I can focus on getting better. There is no right or wrong - it simply depends upon your attitude. This site has been a wonderful help - and I woudl not have known about "Use It Or Lose It" which I plan to follow or about practicing kegels before surgery to help make a quicker rebound after. I owe those things to this site. Knowing aobut them also gives me a little more comfort I will make a rapid and speedy recovery.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS