Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Survey Report - and another Survey Request

Many of you responded last year to a request to complete a survey for a thesis on the value of sites like these on the Internet.

A summary of the response cn be read here - Results of the Online Survey There are no real surprises there, but it is nice to know that the results indicate that

.....members of PCa online support groups, both the patients and their female relatives, benefit greatly in terms of positive outcomes achieved through participation in the groups, especially in terms of improved knowledge and confidence in dealing with the disease......PCa online support groups can significantly contribute the empowerment of those patients and their relatives who choose to participate in the online support groups.

The young lady who ran the survey mentioned to me that as part of her analysis she also looked at the response of people who are termed 'lurkers'. I don't like that expression but it is commonly used to describe the majority of people who will read and gather information from Internet sites, but do not ask questions or contribute. They too get value from being members of the Internet users:

..... lurkers are equally satisfied with the gorups and benefit from being a part of the online group - in many areas to the same extent as the posters. This is especially true for all aspects relating to knowledge/information and finding similar others, recognition, comparison to others, which a great source of positive reappraisal of own life and situation they are in. The knowledge thing is fairly obvious, but I think it is particularly important that people can reappraise their situation, ease their anxiety, feel more in controll and feel more positive about themselves just from reading messages.

I have been approached to ask you to complete another survey - it took me less than 20 minutes. If you go to DIVAS Survey you will provide a little more insight into the importance of Internet support.

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS