Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Respectfully Disagreeing with Terry on AS worries, PSA & Age issues

Alan,

I apologise for misreading and categorising your behaviour.

You say:

I hope that that is how you view this – just a disagreement.

I say: Yes. That is how I view it.

As to my .....sending the wrong message... that is something I have been told I have been doing for the last 15 years, so it is no surprise to me that this should be said again. I can only do my best but sometimes I wonder if there is any truth in a saying I saw the other day:

I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Respectfully Disagreeing with Terry on AS worries, PSA & Age issues

Just two quick points for which I didn't have time earlier:

1. Frequency of PSA tests. You say Despite not being PCa specific, you have relied on them heavily in making ADT decisions. So IMO, I think you are sending the wrong message.

When I was first diagnosed I had annual tests (roughly - sometimes longer). The period between tests changed when the answers might give information that might indicate if a therapy was working or not - for example on ADT. The person to whom I was suggesting that it might not be neccessary to have quartely tests was in a better position than I was when I was diagnosed. He was not on ADT, nor had he undergone surgery or any other therapy. Whilst you may regard my message as 'wrong' it is not inconsistent with my own choice. And as I say repeatedly and frequently, I am not saying that anyone should do what I have done, but they might be interested to know what I have done since it has worked for me for some time.

2. You say I was surprised by this passage in your last post: “...but men die at younger ages from all manner of things. Young men have to live long enough to die from PCa - and many will not make it”. I don’t know what to think about that except to say that I think it is a weak argument. It seems like you are saying don’t worry about PCa because most of you aren’t going to make it to age 76 anyway. I don’t know where you get that from.

There is a difference between 'many' and 'most'. I used the former: you converted the word to the latter. Some of the men, perhaps many, who are young enough to have a life expectancy of say 28 years will die before they complete that term and since the mortality rate from prostate cancer is so low, they are more likely to die of something else.

What I was trying (and apparently failing) to say was that at all ages there are more risks of dying from something other than prostate cancer, risks that we do not obsess about. Overall less than 3% of male deaths are from prostate cancer, a figure that has not changed since 1976 before the War On Cancer was declared.

The number of young men who die from prostate cancer is very small. The number of men who are old who die from prostate cancer is higher, but so are the deaths of older men from other causes.

Perhaps I should have quoted Willet Whitmore:

Growing old is invariably fatal while prostate cancer is only sometimes so.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS