Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Informed choices & personal responsibility

I know many men that are very computer literate and know very little about prostate cancer, as was I. I feel doctors especially urologist need to know more. I also think it is incumbent on people like us to be open and willing to talk to others. Many men are hesitant to talk about their bodily functions which limits the exchange of knowledge. After having a prostatectomy I lost a lot of my modesty and inhibitions. I am willing to talk about a lot of personal things (much to my wife's chagrin). I hope I can be a good emissary and assist with the plethora confusing and conflicting information.

Re: Informed choices & personal responsibility

Bruce,

You say I feel doctors especially urologist need to know more. and I agree with you.

Here is a small insight into how urologists deal with changes in action on PCa diagnoses - they simply ignore them - Are US urologists really acceptant of active surveillance?

The comments also show how studies can be misleading. At first sight there seems to be a reasonable level of support for AS, then when the detail is considered, it is found that the substantial majority of urologists did not participate in the study. It would not be too difficult to guess at their views.

There are none so blind as those who will not see, and none so deaf as those who will not hear. But then again how closely would you listen if your livelihood was threatened?

All the best
Terry in Australia

Re: Informed choices & personal responsibility (older men & internet usage)

Terry,

I am not sure that there is anything more you can do, but that being said, you do far more than most and should feel good about that. (I know that you aren’t fishing for compliments, but I am still amazed at your dedication to this site in the form of the number of times that you personally reply to someone’s post and how quickly you get that reply out).

As far as the computer illiterate older population is concerned, internet usage figures are changing for the better. According to one website, 45% of Americans age 70-75 used the internet in 2008 & that was up from a measly 26% in 2005. So, that is encouraging.

Still, that means, as of four years ago, 55% of that age group did not go online, which brings to mind the old saying: “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” Was I being “a little hard” on these men that don’t take advantage of online resources? Maybe, (although it was not my intention), but these men would have to be living in a cave not to at least be aware of the ability to obtain information using the internet. So IMO, for many, it is a case of being stubborn & set in their ways and they suffer the consequences of their inaction as a result. In a way, it as a form of Darwinism in that those who fail to evolve do not do well (or as well) in the long run.

On the positive side, this should not be an issue with the next generation (and hopefully it will be a whole new world as far as Pca screening & treatment is concerned as well).

All the best
Alan in the USA

Re: Informed choices & personal responsibility (older men & internet usage)

Gentlemen: I have read all your comments and observations twice, however nowhere do I find the word "litigation". U.S. doctors, but more importantly researchers and drug companies fear attorneys as they are easy prey to large law suits. Doctors adhere closely to prescribed policies and procedures concerning a disease as to limit their liability should a suit occur.
Active surveillance may also fall in this category depending on the stage of the cancer, Gleason, etc.

Jack

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS