Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: husband recently diagnosed

I echo Terry's thoughts about rushing into surgery. I understand the feeling of just wanting to get it out. I had surgery 18 months ago and felt the same way. My PSA is now rising and I am looking at radiation anyway. If I knew then what I know now I think I would have choose radiation. My advise is to talk to a good Radiation Oncologist before deciding. If you do decide on surgery make sure you get a surgeon that is skilled and experienced. Quality of life after surgery is dependent on the surgeon. I know the first days are very difficult emotionally but it does get better. My wife and I have a full life while dealing with the cancer. Good luck. Feel free to E-mail me if you want to discuss topics in not such a public forum.

Re: husband recently diagnosed

Lily, I agree with Terry and Bruce that you really need to consider all your options before seeking treatment. In my case I was on Active Surveilance (AS) for two year with a small amount of GS6 (2 cores <10%). I loved being on AS, but my PSA continued to rise at every 6 month test. Six months ago I went to a new uro who found GS8 in 3 cores >80%. Because GS8 is more agressive, I opted for proton therapy in conjunction with low-dose chemo at UFPTI. I finished my chemo/radiation last month and on am on 6 months of hormones. Please make sure all avenues of of treatment are explored.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS