Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSA of 2006 but negative biopsy

HKdaughter,
I would expect that most of the prostate cancer left the prostate and has taken up residence in the bones. The cancer that is in the prostate would be in the anterior/ventral part of the prostate which is hard to find with a standard rectal biopsy. It is almost a certainty that it is cancer but there is a good chance that it won't kill him. If the treatment they give him gets his PSA down to less than 1.0 and keeps it down for a couple of years then he probably won't die of PC...assuming better treatments come out in the next 5 years.

G'day KH Daughter,

Your story illustrates yet again the Golden Rule of prostate cance There Are No Rules.

The highest PSA result that I have seen reported which responded to antibiotic was a little over 300 ng/ml. That was not cancer related apparently as the PSA dropped back to a 'normal' level after treatment. When the PSA number gets into the thousands, it is usually associated with an aggressive form of the disease. The highest number I have seen reported is over 12,000. That man survived many years - with a good deal of therapy - to retire as Chief Pilot of a very large US airline. So all is not necessarily lost.

The bone scan may well give you the information that will clarify the position. If, as may be the case, your father has been unfortunate enough to have an aggressive form of the disease, it my not have built up a significant tumour in the gland before progressing to other organs or, more lkely, the bones. As Frank has said, the position of any cells in the gland itself may be such that it is difficult to find them with a 'blind' biopsy procedure.

Please let us know the outcome of the scans. We'll all hope for the best.

Terry in Australia

Thank you so much guys! I will keep you posted and wish you all a Merry X'mas and a wonderful year ahead!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS