Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice please.

Steve,

Were you given any specific reason for the suggested delay in starting ADT?

The only thing I can think of is that your doctor might be thinking that what you are seeing is a radiation "bump" which sometimes occurs about two years after radiation therapy is concluded. This sees the PSA lelevls slowly climb to a zenith - a high point - and then head back down to your nadir - your lowest point which should in your case be undetectable with a normal PSA test.

You might like to ask him this and then weigh up the probabilities/consequences of your options.

As to BioBran, I must confess to not having heard of this product previously, so it was interesting to read their defence of criticism of the product. I must say after a very quick read through of this site, I think I'd be on the side of the critics. I don't think much of the BioBran defence.

But......we all have to make up our own minds on these things. Who knows who is 'right' and 'wrong'? It is important to always bear in mind that there are many financial interests involved in much of what is published.

Good luck with your discussion with your doctor.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Thanks Terry. The reeson for not starting the hormone treatment was that, as at some time the cancer would be hormone resistant the longer we delay the start the longer I would have before this hormone resistance kick in.He said I could start immediately, if I wanted to, but I'm no expert!

There is no evidence that early HT is better that starting late. That said, the Top oncologists, Myers, Strum and Scholz all agree that the earlier the better for the following reasons:
1. In all oncology practices with all cancers there is no treatment when applied later is more effective that one started as early as possible.
2. Prostate cancer is composed of androgen dependent and independent cells. HT kills dependent cells with great efficiency. One in one million dependent cells will mutate over time to independent cells and you want to kill these cells before they mutate.
3. HT works much better when the tumor burden is low.

Steve R,

The statement that PCa always becomes hormone resistant in the end is simply not correct.

It is a fact that many studies demonstrate that it may be likely to happen and that it may happen to the majority of men in the study BUT...... you need to look carefully at the men in these studies and ask yourself if their starting position matches yours; you need to see what the range of failure is, not simply the median.

It may also be worth reading the experiences of men who chose ADT and see how long some of them have gone without become hormone resistant. People like Doug Adams and Chuck Maack come to mind. Their experiences demonstrate clearly that they haven't become hormone resistant.

Many people don't like anecdotal evidence such as that offered by Yana men, but facts are facts and at times actual experiences contradict beliefs based on studies.

My personal attitude is always - What is the range of options? Which applies most closely to my personal position? What are the chances/risks involved for ME, not for smeone with a different diagnosis to mine.

Good luck and follow the path that you think fits your personal views best. It is your life, it is your choice. There is no 'right' or 'wrong'.

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS