Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Beta Glucan

My son worked as a graduate student in a governemt funded prostate cancer research lab ($ billions are spent each year in these independent government labs around the world) and they are always on the look out for anything that might work including exotic plants, strange fish or almost anything else. These reaearchers know there is a Nobel prize waiting for anyone that makes a significant advance in cancer control or cure. If this substance really works the maker should send it to be tested. There is a reason why these type of "cancer cures" never get sent to be tested by government labs. The few that are tested never have been found to work...but I guess that is part of the conspiracy to keep cancer cures from the general population.

Beta Glucan - Prostate Cancer trials

I'll just say, after I had my son and lost a ton of blood and had the immune system of, and I quote my husband, that of an "immature crack baby", my Aunt from San Fran said, and I quote, "I've told you about this 3 times now, either get off your ass and get it and research it or quit bitching about being sick!!!"

Of course, I don't remember her telling me about it until this dramatic conversation. For me it works amazingly, for others I don't know. I can't tell you the times I've tried something only to be like "what ever". So you asked for trials, I'll start with the 1st and add them as I research them for a second time.

Here's the most impressive to me, especially given there isn't a toxicity aspect to trying this and is used in Japan and China as a normal course of cancer treatment...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10851301

Tough read, but take the time to go thru it, especially noting the MEDICAL trial of 1,200 post surgical patients and infections (or lack of infections) using Beta Glucan... not saying the claims it works for Prostate Cancer are solid, just saying for me personally, I've had an immune compromised system due to surgery/blood loss and PERSONALLY had a positive impact from this supplement. I can't say that about the many other supplements I've tried that have failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-glucan

So many people have pointed me in the right direction to research different things on this site, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention this little known supplement as a possibility to AID in the treatment plan knowing it worked well for me in another area/way. I personally buy the 100mg NOW supplements, 90 tablets for $10 online, but the therapeutic levels for prostate cancer treatment (1500mg+) probably would constitute you finding the 500mg tablets by another producer.

I'll keep posting links as I find them.

You have to read thru this one to get to the Beta Glucan impact, but well, here's another medical thread to wade thru for Beta Glucan...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0162310999000132

I have deleted Beth's last post which specifies the trade name of the Beta Glucan supplements she recommends. It seems likely to me that this post breaches the requirement to avoid advertising on this site.

The three URLs refrenced in Beth's postings have very little or nothing to do with the effect of Beta Glucan on men with prostate cancer.

The first, a study in vitro - which is to say not in human beings and therefore unreliable - which was published in 2000 concludes:

A bioactive beta-glucan from the Maitake mushroom has a cytotoxic effect, presumably through oxidative stress, on prostatic cancer cells in vitro, leading to apoptosis. Potentiation of GD action by vitamin C and the chemosensitizing effect of GD on carmustine may also have clinical implications. Therefore, this unique mushroom polysaccharide MAY have great a potential as an alternative therapeutic modality for prostate cancer.

As Frank says, if Beta Glucan HAD been shown to have potential in men instead of cells in petri dishes, trials would have been running years ago.

The other two references have NOTHING to do with prostate cancer.

This is being left on the Forum as an example of how claims should be investigated before anyone takes a recomendation on the word of someone's aunt from San Francisco.

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS