Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice Needed... Complicated Case

This is a close relative, but feel I'm being invasive especially given the complications he's exhibited, so I'm walking a fine line of sharing my research with him. Direct suggestions from you guys who've been there done that seem to be much easier to present.

I can't tell you how much your suggestions of a complicated case allowed me to research possible treatment options. If this was my father, I'd be at the chemo appointment in the morning with some serious questions before starting chemo.

Just out of curiosity, would you think this might be a possible scenario of possible treatment?

1. Kidney Transplant - Pretty much given up saving it to fight the PCa, BUT... have to stop immunosuppresents to treat the PCa, but could be on Rapamycin as a possible immunosuppresent to do double duty of kidney rejection and fighting the PCa? Might save some kidney function with this immunosuppresent?

He's on dialysis and foly catheter right now, kidney still partially functional. Would love to think the Rapamycin could save the kidney and work on the PCa at the same time. Not sure if that is too optimistic?

2. PSA rose on hormone therapy post radiation therapy. Yet, I've seen some interesting articles about why hormone therapy might fail from Myers articles and options to treat.

3. Uncle passed from Prostate Cancer back in the 90s... I know things have changed, but there is a cloud of "just a matter of months" mentality around here. He's only at at PSA level of like 8-10 and only in metastasis in the lyphnodes. However, the pelvic lyphnodes have caused SIGNIFICANT swelling in one leg and the scrotum. Dialysis has helped the leg swelling.

Is there anything he can do about the scrotum swelling?? This is definitely causing quality of life issues.

Beth,

There is always some hope, even if it is only a glimmer at times.

The situation you describe is a complex one and certainly beyond the ability of any lay person on a site like this to give you definitve advice.

Rob has suggested a list of doctors who might be able to help and I second him in his post. Most of those doctors are prepared to look outside the square for solutions for specific cases, rather than apply the 'golden rule' of their specifci beliefs which regrettably is the medical standard in so many cases.

Good luck on your rocky path.

Terry in Australia

Thanks for the information. I researched the drug combo and some of the papers the onocologist have written and printed it out for him to review. I've always been able to count on this site to point me in the right direction.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS