Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cost of Proton Beam Therapy

For what it is worth, 4 years ago, I strongly wanted my father to have Proton Beam therapy after researching all the options. He was a Gleason Score of 6, T2b, and had a brother die of prostate cancer in his 60s about 10 years ago. Proton Beam was covered by insurance and was an 8 hour drive from our home. We found several places they could have rented for the duration of the treatment at a reasonable price. AKA, this was totally financially doable.

Take this next paragraph with the knowledge I'm approximating and relying on memory.

My dad instead decided to have local IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) which is a 3D type advanced radiation, and this was TOTALLY his decision after hearing all the research I'd done. Proton Beam therapy allows a radiation grey scale unit of up to around 8100. Traditional radiation therapy give approximately 7500-7600 grey scale units. After our extensive discussions, his radiologist gave an additional treatment because he was doing so well with the treatment. Dad had 43 treatments instead of 42 for an additonal 180 grey scale units and approximately 7800 grey scale units of radiation.

I tell this story in case proton beam is not available to you... if you can get IMRT radiation and maybe have an additional treatment, you may get similar radiation doses without the additional cost. Knock on wood, dad has been below 0.5 PSA level since treatment and his PSA level has remained steady since his radiation 4 years ago.

Best of luck to you. As I've always said, this site is amazing for sharing of stories and insite.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS