Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Will metastatic prostate cancer ever be curable ?

It doesn't matter if it is curable or controllable with minimum side effects to me as long as some breakthrough is made soon.

I think the reason the mortality rate remains the same despite great progress is because you are less likely to die of heart disease and stoke now. As an example, my father died of asbestos induced lung cancer at 89 but would have died of a heart attack at 82 if it weren't for the stent that he got.

Sorry FRank, I don't follow your argument.

I'll concede that there is no doubt a change in the 'mix' of causes of death over time, but whicever way you look at that, the fact remains that 97% of male deaths (roughly) were caused by diseases and illnesses other than prostate cancer in the 70s and the same position pertains today.

For my money that demonstrates that the studies that have shown pretty conclusively that there has been no observable benefit in the early detecion and treatment of prostate cancer are likely to be correct.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Terry, this thread was meant to be about educated guesses about the future of prostate cancer treatment and chances for a cure for metastatic prostate cancer in particular (or making it a chronic condition, with a few times times greater life expectancy than today) Thanks for the comments so far, if more will follow, then great.

Re this discussion about early detection.
Perhaps the incidence of prostate cancer increased?
Even if not, if you say the PSA testing hasn't changed the rates of deaths from prostate cancer, then it looks like you might be favoring not doing any PSA tests at all.

I think we know there's lots of slow growing cancers and a minority of agressive, Gleasons 9's and 10-'s. I read lots of stories of how early detection and agressive radical therapy saved lifes of those with high Gleasons. I think if one has agressive prostate cancer running in his family, he should do regular PSA tests to catch his cancer early in hopes to save his life, instead of just waiting for symptoms and believing his cancer won't be curable anyway.

Terry,
We both agree with the facts in your first paragraph but you come to an incorrect conclusion in the second paragraph. If improvements were made in the treatment of most diseases since the 70's but no improvement in treating prostate cancer then the death rate for prostate cancer would have gone up and not stayed the same. It has stayed the same because the treatment for prostate cancer has improved by about the same amount as for other diseases. The end result is we all live a little longer than men who died in the 1970s.

Paul,

I'm sorry the thread wandered, as threads do!!

So here's what I meant to express:

I think it is less likely there will ever be a 'cure' for metastasised disese: I think it is more likely that a discovery will be made as to the root cause of the disuption in the cellular process. Stopping that process will prevent the proliferation of the cells we currently label 'prostate cancer' and thise prevent metastasis.

I have no scientific references for my idea, merely my observations on life and how medical breakthroughs occur.

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS