Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stopping HDT

Has anyone gone off Lupron or other comparable HDT drug when it was obvious it was not working and if so, what was the outcome?

Re: Stopping HDT

Aloha Jo,
Ok, so when you say "...when it was obvious it was not working ..." I'm assuming that you mean the PSA did not go down over a couple of months, or perhaps the suggestion is that body scans/tests detected PC spread to other locations. So, we may need more explanation of what you want to ask. PC has many faces and we all react differently to treatment.
Joe

I can be much more specific. My husband has been on HDT first with Lupron and then with Firmagon since fall of 2007, and even complete androgen blockade in February 2009 when bone mets were first detected. In spring of 2010 his PSA started climbing and the Casodex was removed in August 2010 with no effect on the PSA acceleration. The PSA reached a high of 1700 (it may have been higher a month later but was not measured at that time). He was then put on abiraterone which has since taken the PSA down to 50. My question is, if it is so obvious that the HDT does not deter the cancer, why is he not taken off it at least for long enough to see if he can tolerate being off the HDT given the serious side effects of cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and metabolic syndrome. I want to know if anyone else has gone that route and what was the outcome? And yes I know the abiraterone is given with androgen agonist or antagonist because that was the study protocol. This is an intellectual question because so much of the treatment for prostate cancer has been by group protocols rather by measuring individual response.

Aloha Jo,
This is a tough position for both of you. I am not in a position (of knowledge) to make recommendations to you. I would hope that you are spending sufficient time with your oncologist (& here I would be getting second & third doc's consults especially if you don't feel right about your primary oncologist) that you understand all the options that might be available to you. As we all know PCa can be very difficult to treat. I hope that you and your husband can talk this through with help from those people who know our minds better than we do. Please let us know how your path goes. I wish you the best.
There are other web sites (http://prostatecancerinfolink.net/) that review PCa research and re-report it so that we can understand what is going on.
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS