Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: red yeast rice extract

Warwick,
Well there are lots of things that will kill cancer cells in vitro and we sure have a lot of drugs that can slow down PC in mice but don't work well for humans. This study shows that Chinese red yeast rice also will slow down PC in mice.

There are a few researchers trying to find out why PC doesn't progress very quickly in Asian men in Asia but does progress in Asian men in North America. Most researchers assume it is the diet of less meat and more vegetables that makes the difference but no study has found the right food combination.

My theory is that it will be found to be something like a fungus or bacteria that grows in the food in Asia. You should give the Chinese red yeast rice a try and see if it works for you (assuming your doctor agrees) and tell us the result.

Re: red yeast rice extract

I stumbled across your post when I was looking for something else. I did not read the link but the fact that there is a study ongoing regarding efficacy of red yeast rice for prostate cancer is not a surprise. Testosterone is made by the body from ingredients that include cholesterol. Red yeast rice reduces blood cholesterol (it is a natural statin, similar to the Rx statins). Anything that reduces cholesterol production should also reduce testosterone production which would then reduce "food" for prostate cancer and prostatitis.
By the way, the medical industry in the US does not like the use of red yeast rice, noting that the treatment would not be standardized. Being the skeptic that I am about drug companies, I think the real fear is eating into their profits:)

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS