Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hormone therapy

Gee Bob you left out one other side effect that doesn't seem to get much attention, genital shrinkage, when my balls withered away, in a panic I called the oncologist who informed me that this is common??
Seems I missed reading that one anywhere else.

Warwick in Oz

Hot flashes, I found were best treated with humor the biggest pain in the but were the mood swings, but they only seemed to last a couple of months. Good luck Bob

A 10-year study has discovered a new treatment approach that doubles the survival chances of men with locally advanced prostate cancer.

Published in the latest edition of The Lancet Oncology, the University of Newcastle and Calvary Mater Newcastle research showed that combining radiotherapy with six months of hormone therapy significantly reduced the death rate of prostate cancer patients.

The trial included 802 men from Australia and New Zealand with locally advanced prostate cancer (cancer that has not spread to other parts of the body). Participants were randomly assigned to three treatment groups: radiotherapy alone, radiotherapy with three months of hormone therapy and radiotherapy with six months of hormone therapy.

The rate of prostate cancer death for men receiving radiotherapy with six months’ hormone therapy was reduced to 11 per cent, compared to 22 per cent for men receiving radiotherapy alone.

Lead researcher Professor Jim Denham said hormone therapy was used to lower the levels of male hormones that can promote the growth of prostate cancer.

“Prolonged hormone therapy carries many side effects including erectile dysfunction, hot flashes, fatigue, osteoporosis, high cholesterol and anaemia. Associated cardiac problems have also been fatal for some patients.

“The challenge has been to determine the right length of hormone therapy that treats the cancer but produces minimal side effects. With this research, we now know that six months of hormone therapy with radiotherapy will provide a very effective treatment for locally advanced prostate cancer over the next decade.”

Another key finding by the Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group (TROG) 96.01 trial was that six months of hormone therapy with radiation for locally advanced prostate cancers reduces the total death rate of all men by one third. The results also showed that a treatment of radiotherapy with three months of hormone therapy did not prevent the cancer from spreading and had similar death rates to radiotherapy alone.

Good to see this is confirmed by 10 year study. I had the fun of trying to figure out my best treatment scenario back in 2002 with less information on the internet and more of the jungle and mushroom effect information from conservative 'evidence' based medicine types whom had little to no inputs or suggestions on what might even be best to do, glad I saw that for what it was, of course I had influences like Dr. Strum, Leibowitz, Barken, Myers and PaactNewsletter, beside the local 8 opinion guys whom had very little concepts to offer. Sure glad I read about the Bolla abstract studies from back then...and decided to do just that.

Many things to look at when considering your own fate in this, even if you cannot win the war...winning some battles is priceless enough.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS