Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HIFU

I have been recently diagnosed with T2B Prostate Cancer, Gleason 6, PSA 4.9, 7 of 12 core samples were positive.. I am of course reviewing all the options. I live in the U.S. and one of the doctors that is part of the group I am dealing with is regularly taking patients out of the country for HIFU treatments.
Can anyone shed any light on their experiences or experiences of those they know who have used HIFU?
My personal choice at this time is to go with external radiation as I am just not anxious to go through a radical. HIFU seems like a possible option to consider.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: HIFU

Welcome to our club, Danny. Sorry that you have to join us, but we're not a bad bunch.

If you go along to the TREATMENT EXPERIENCES INDEX and click on HIFU you'll find about 20 stories from men who chose this option.

As you'll see, there is a mixture of results and most of the men will respond to any questions you might have.

It seems to me from what I have read, that the experience of the operator (important in all choices of therapy) is perhaps even more important with HIFU because in incompetent hands, damage can occur very swiftly.

All the best

Terry in Australia

The Prostate Cancer Research Institute web site has a very good unbiased article on the latest HIFU data that has been published. It is in the latest issue of their Insights newsletter. The bottom line is that the data shows a reoccurrance rate far higher than any of the conventional treatments and more alarming is that the reoccurrance rate does not decrease as time progresses as in other conventional treatments.

That is an excellent article, John.

To read it, go along to INSIGHTS and click on the relevant link. The download is a pdf file of about 3MB.

All the best

Terry in Australia

In view of your stated interest in external beam radiation, you may find my ongoing journal helpful; see http://protondon.blogspot.com/
Regards Don O,

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS