Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
prostate biopsy infections

I had an eighteen core biopsy in March and two days later I began to get uncontrollable chills, a fever and eventually a urinary blockage. I went to the emergency room of a local hospital on the third day and, after urine and blood tests I was admitted with a severe ecoli infection. For the next five days I was on intravenus antibiotics around the clock and a catheter for the urinary blockage. I was on Cipro before the biopsies, but it didn't help. Does anyone know of a treatment before biopsies which will prevent this from happening in the future. I have early stage prostate cancer which was picked up on an earlier round of biopsies and want to be able to follow the progress while on Active Surveillance.

Re: prostate biopsy infections

The risk of infection following biopsy procedures has always been there. It is said that the risk has increased dramatically over recent years because of the surge in drug-resistant bacteria. A recent study highlighted this - see Antibiotic-resistant infections associated with prostate biopsy

It is interesting to see one conclusion from the study Men most susceptible to harboring resistant bacteria include those who have taken antibiotics in the year before the procedure ..... Given that you were in Cipro before the biopsy, you would seem to fit that picture.

But, when I read that I wondered - does the taking of the recomennded antibiotic immediately befoe the biopsy procedure lead to a greater isk of infection - seems a daft concept, but......

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: prostate biopsy infections

Some data exists that supports a betadine rectal lavage before biopsy. Also, if the urologist swabs the prostate with betadine right before biopsy, that may help. If you are at high risk, they may start IV antibiotics on you in the hospital before the biopsy.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS