Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brachytherapy

I just got diagnosed with pc. Gleason 7,PSA 7.5 and T1c.
I've consulted with a Brachytherapy expert and he indicated that I'd be a good candidate.
I'd like to hear from anyone that has gone through this type of radiation therapy just to get some further insight as to what I might expect if I choose this treatment option.
Thanks.

Re: Brachytherapy

Hang on...John T should be chiming in on this one and has some good info and having done it and analyzed alot of things in PCa. Yes, it can be a great choice.

Welcome to the club you never wanted to join Bruce.

You don't mention how much research you have done prior to speaking to the Brachytherapy expert, but you should be aware (if you are not already) that there is a tendency for all experts to recommend the therapy in which they claim expertise.

Can I suggest you go along to the TREATMENT EXPERIENCES INDEX and click on the Brachytherpay link. You'll find a list of more than 70 men who chose Brachytherapy, most of whom will be happy to help you with any specific questions you might have.

Good luck along your journey

Terry in Australia

Bruce,
I had Brachy and IMRT about two years ago. First make sure that the doctor you are considering has done at least 250 procedures and 500 is better. It's about a one hour procedure done on an outpatient basis and going back to work after day 2 is fairly common.
You will have 4 to 8 weeks of urinary frequency and urgency that is annoying but tolorable. Longer term side affects are variable, but I have suffered no side affects after about 4 weeks and my psa has consistantly been 0.1. Feel free to look at my story and email me if you have any specific questions.
JohnT

Hi Bruce, last July I had HDR Brachytherapy, was in hospital for 4 days, my experience was that going to the dentist was more painful. Treatment was followed up by 23 sessions of EBRT, I have also had ADT which started last May and will finish with the last "hit" in May.
Side effects? mostly from the ADT, I did have some bladder urgency for about 4 weeks after EBRT but that has now settled and bladder bowel function is normal. Immediately after Brachytherapy I did manage to pee my pants twice before I realised that when I needed to empty my bladder it meant "NOW" but that soon passed. My psa is currently at .003, I took the bracytherapy option because surgery would have greatly affected quality of life as the location of the cancer was a major issue.

Bruce, I personally chose radical vs brachy 3 years ago after some consideration as there was a top radical guy in my area and I was told that the cure rate was a modest 5% or thereabouts higher with radical. Both rates were good. However, I attended a seminar at a local prostate support group last year and the radiologist speaker said that "brachy" had improved with the use of gold markers to a cure rate about on par with radical and with fewer potential side effects.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS