Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Surgery without adjuvant radiation - locally advanced

I am trying to contact men who have had surgery for locally advanced prostate cancer who were not offered (or were advised against) adjuvant radiation , either immediately after surgery or upon PSA rise.

Re: Surgery without adjuvant radiation - locally advanced

Path report: seminal vesicles both positive,
extra capsular extension 2 mm,
surgical margin positive 6mm,
Gleason 3,4-(7), Stage T3b.
Recommendation for close PSA monitoring,
RT if PSA elevates.
After one year very slight elevation in PSA .08,
IMRT completed with positive results PSA less then .05

Next PSA test May 2011.

Prior to surgery PSA 4.0, Gleason 3,3-6
Biopsy 1 of 12 cores positive.

Hello Jo - I think I am one who fits the criteria of what you are looking for:
At RP March 2007: Adenocarcinoma bilateral, Grade G3-4, pT3aN1MX, Size 2.5cm in diameter, volume in percentage 20%, free margins, Stage IV, Focal established extra-capsular invasion, Nerve invasion, 4 lymph nodes Positive, Gleason 9(5+4). Prior to surgery, PSA = 13.1 and PSADT ~ 7½ months. I was advised to go on a Clinical Trial, which I did and was randomized to a delayed treatment group (see my story) with the trial being subsequently canceled. I am currently monitoring PSA with Ultrasensitive Immulite Assay. Last PSA (2 weeks ago) was 0.012ng/ml which was elevated enough above PSA history to schedule another in 6 weeks. Prior PSA meandered between <0.003 and 0.008.
Pete

Jo,

The term "locally advanced" can mean many things. It is best to define your query in terms of your specific diagnostic clinical numbers - PSA record, Staging and Gleason Score - or, if you have had surgery and there is a revision of any of these numbers, what they are.

I don't know if you have been to the relevant page on the Yana site TREATMENT EXPERIENCES you will be able to find a number of men who have a diagnostic profile similar to yours, you will be able to see who had Surgery, who had adjuvant radiation therapy, who had other salvage therapies and so on.

I think that may be the best route for you to gain knowledge of what other people have done.

All the best

Terry in Australia

I started with Gleason score of 6 Psa rise 3.0 to 4.75 in a year. surgery removed prostate on 11/16 /10 cancer had spread down one seminal gland. Now psa 0.001 no radiation treatment at this time wait to see if there is a raise in psa. My first Psa test was four months after surgery.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS