Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone try Proton Theryapy for 5 1/2 weeks?

I am going to Florida Univ. Proton Therapy for my first visit in a couple of weeks.
They are doing a study using a protocal of just 5 1/2 weeks higher dose therapy. I'm not sure I'll fit the protocol but if I do, I'll have to decide.

I have Gleason 3+4, PSA of 3.6, T2 a/b. A Palbable area on the prostate that was firm, but not enlarged.

I chose PT because of it's lower side effects..and effectiveness..so wondering if the higher doses change any of that.

Anyone try a shorter, more intense treatment regiment?

This web site was invaluable...THANKS

Re: Anyone try Proton Theryapy for 5 1/2 weeks?

Eric,

The protocol that uses less frequent, higher doses is termed 'hypofractionated' radiation. There are a couple of Yana men who have tried this experimental treatment, as I recall, but only one that I have indexed initially. That is DAVE C who has had signficant problems as a result of the higher dosage.

Another form of photon radiation therapy that uses hypofractionated doses is trademarked as CYBERKNIFE and if you got to the EBRT section of the Experiences Index on the site you will find a number of men who choe this form of therapy.

The problem you face in making a choice of what is still labelled an experimental therapy is that, despite what you may be told, there is no good independently produced data to support any claims that might be made.

Men who have chosen proton beam therapy extol the virtues of the therapy and indeed had I chosen to have conventional therapy (and could have afforded it) i may well have chosen PBT. BUT....it has to be said that the claims of lower side effects and greater effectiveness are not supported by good independent studies.

Good luck as you went your way along this confusing decision path:-)

Terry in Australia

Re: Anyone try Proton Theryapy for 5 1/2 weeks?

Dear ERIC:
IMPRESSIONS FROM A UFPTI GRADUATE
1. You have selected the treatment option with the least side effects.
2. You have selected an outstanding center to receive your treatment.
3.Your liklihood for adverse side effects will increase with the briefer treatment period.
Regards Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS