Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSA RISE RESULT

Bob, I would wait until the 12 month PSA result. If it is up again then consider further investigation. 0.03 ng/ml probably is the limit of detection for the assay. 0.04 ng/ml is doubtful.
What was the 3 month PSA reading?

Joe (H) Australia

Bob

At 3 AM we all think we are dying from something. The rest of the time you have to start living and stop worrying. You are never going to die from prostate cancer. You might need salvage treatment but since they didn't recomend it right after surgery it is more likely you will never need it. If you do need salvage treatment it probably wont be for a few more years and then the treatments will be better.

Thanks Frank you seem the only one who makes sense at what PSA level after RP is it time to act.

That'a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who took some trouble to try and help you deal with your perceived problems, Bob.

Not sure you'll get the same response next time you post a query.

Terry

I'm sorry i didn't mean to offend anyone but only 2 replies and pls the last thing i need is more upset i didn't need a reply like the one you sent I'm worried enough without receiving that type of email.I would have thought you would understand how i feel.
bob01

Bob,

If I upet you, I regret that.

When you raised the question of elevated PSA I suggested two things to you. I said:

1. ..... you should also know that ultra-sensitive PSA tests (which is what you are getting now) are not always accurate - see ULTRA-SENSITIVE PSA

and

2. If you ever get to the stage when you have three consecutive rises in your PSA at the kind of levels you are talking about you might like to read this story: AGOSTINI which is just one of over 1,000 stories on the site. You might like to read those - and the rest of the site. THe knowledge you get should reduce your anxiety because you will have greater knowledge.

Can I ask you if you went to either of those Links? If so did you not find them helpful?

Have you read through the stories other men who have had surgery and detectable PSA levels after surgery to see how and why they made their decisions? Are those not helpful?

I also suggested, in one of my mails to you Off List, that you read A STRANGE PLACE and offered to send you a hard copy of that booklet which so many others have found useful if you could not read it on site or download it. All I needed was your postal address, but I have not heard from you.

Those of us who read posts from people like you, in distress and concerned (often for no reason other than ignorance), do our best to help, but much of the way you can deal with your crisis must depend on your taking some steps to educate yourself. Of course you must continue to ask questions, but you also need to listen to the answers.

All the best

Terry

Thanks Terry
I have a lot going on at the moment my PC and two weeks ago my wife (lump in her breast )get result next week.I get that stressed as we have 14 yr old son that needs us.Well i feel better i went to see my urologist for some answers today.According to him I'm a long long way from where we should get worried .He explained 0.04 and 0.03 they are both so TINY don't worry until we and if we get up to .1 but we are a long way from that.Thanks Terry i appreciate everything you and all members did for me I'm so grateful.
bob01

Hi Bob,

I decided not to get the ultrasensitive PSA test after surgery. My doctor felt that the tests don't provide any extra information to help decide treatment options and that the variations cause unnecessary worry.

The standard number that most doctors will use to determine whether follow-up treatment is needed is 0.2... of course this depends on a lot of factors, including pre-surgery PSA, Gleason Score, pathology report, PSA Velocity, etc. The main thing to remember is that .03 and 0.04 are very small numbers and that the difference between them is probably within the accuracy of the tests.

Best Regards, David
Connecticut, US

Hi David
Thanks for your post i agree absolutely with you the ultra sensitive test causes so much unnecessary anxiety.Your advise i agree with with and if it gets to .1 or .2 that is the time to look at further treatment.Some of the posts also cause unnecessary worry i have have people tell me at 0.04 i have a problem I'm nearly on the detectable stage which i know is not right.Thank for post let me know how you are going i wish you the best.
Bob

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS