This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer. There are only four rules:
No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making
Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.
Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.
I have an event to attend to at 2pm here in NY but will do my best to become informed. I will be scheduling a ct scan and a MRI for bone for this week to see what may or may not be going on.
One would like to think that my Urologist wants the most appropriate treatment for me. I will will read what you have on this site plus the book the UR gave me. An do my best to simply get a grip and accept this situation for what it is which is only one aspect of my life. I just began this week my second semester as a college freshman and need to focus on my school work. Perhaps that is a tad unrealistic at this time and I should put this current term on hold.
With your PSA and Gleason score it's important to realize that there is absolutely reason to rush into a decision. In addition, I'm surprise you doctor ordered a bone scan since there's almost zero chance that anything will show up (other than any old injuries, arthritis etc.
I had a PSA of 6.1 and Gleason score of 7 and a similar number of positive scores. When I got a second opinion I asked the Dr. if he was concerned that I was waiting until April to get surgery and his answer was "April of what year?".
Take the time you need to absorb the news, learn about your options, and make an informed decision about when to get treatment.
we have very similar stats, I was diagnosed on 21/1/2011, I will be 50 in March, my PSA level 5.6 gleason 6, all cores positive, on the right side base 80% mid 40% apex 35%, left base 5%, mid 40%, apex 75%
I have the most common type of cancer adenocarcinoma.
there is no evidence from scans etc. of further spead.
I have had two opinions from uro-specialists who recommend surgery. For me, they said I have a significant volume of cancer and other treatments not an option. I have no insurance cover which in Australia means I can have open surgery in a local Public hospital, for free or pay for Robotic assistance (Da vinci) surgery in a private hospital.
I have researched and have seen a guy in Sydney who has done over 500 RALP's since 2007 he also advocates Active Survielance, but not for me. I am leaning towards (ralp) with all the benefits it offers, hang the expence. what I do like is that surgery will give me a definitative staging, which given I intend to be around for many years to come, is an important factor.It is easier to treat if local rather than advanced.
Good Luck, if you would like to look up the Doc on you tube his name is Dr Raji Kooner, he has various clips showing procedures, etc.
Hi Steve - thanks for all the info. You seem as if you are very practical and optimistic abut your situation. The little I know about the available options has made me a bit concerned. I Really would prefer not to be splayed wide open. This Divinci procedure of course is performed here in NYC.
Do all types of surgery have the same ongoing side effects such as bladder control etc? What about long term ongoing pain issues where pain medication may be required on a long term basis? I am in a 12 step recovery and relapsing on pain meds after surgery is not something I would like to find myself facing, again.
I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Patrick Walsh's book "How to Survive Prostate Cancer". It provides an excellent understanding of your condition and the different methods of treatment.
PSA is only one indicator and the fact that your PSA is only a 2.6 does not mean that you do not have a cancer worthy of your attention.
I am 41 with a PSA of 4.1 and having an open prostatectomy on 2/14. I decided that I wanted the cancer out of me as soon as possible. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life having to wait for my PSA to rise. Surgery has much better results with fewer side effects when the cancer is self contained and when you are younger and in better health.
While my decision may not be the right one for everybody, I am at peace with it.
Good luck. You have caught this early. Take your time and understand your options. You are in a very good position to deal with it in a manner that suits you.
You would have little to gain by dropping out of school at this point. Continue your Pca research.The more you learn the better questions you can ask of the experts you encounter along the way, and the more likely you will be to make a good decision for yourself and your circumstances. As a part of your research effort you may find my journal helpful; see http://protondon.blogspot.com/
Regards Don O.