Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bone scan

I had a bone scan yesterday i have wanted one ever since DX with PC 9 mth ago but the urologist said with my numbers there was no need post surgery PSA 9 Gleason 7.I had my RP 9.5 mth ago but i have been having buttock pain ever since my urologist said nothing to do with PC any way it has settled down lately not completely gone but not worrying me as much.
Well for piece of mind i arranged a bone scan and the next day the pain in both buttocks returned very bad I'm so worried.I hope it has nothing to do with the PC i get the results next week.My PSA numbers since surgery are @4wks 0.02 @8wks 0.01 @ 3mth 0.03 and at 6 mth again 0.03 i have my 9 mth PSA this Wednesday .I'm so worried any advise most welcome

Re: Bone scan

You don't have metastatic disease. It is not in your bones. If your PSA was above 2 it might be possible but more typically 10 before you can feel bone pain after a prostatectomy. The pain may be coming from injuries caused by having the lymph nodes removed during your operation or some type of nerve damage. I've had some upper hip bone pain ever since my operation but it is not meatastatic disease.

Re: Bone scan

Folks, if you want to read Bob's story to date it is here BOB MAC

Bob,

You are fortunate in that your diagnosis was, based on what you have told us here and in your posted story, a Low to Medium Risk disease.

The key factors in assessing the aggressiveness of the disease and the probabilities of it spreading or metastasising are the time the PSA takes to double and re-double and the Gleason Score, where a Gleason score above 8 is th best predictor of potential problems. You do not have those indcators, unless you post-operative pathology report revealed something you have not shared with us.

The pain you are experiencing is most likely resulting from the surgery or from some other pre-existing condition. As Frank says it is possible to damage nerves in the process of removing the gland but another cause is the position in which the man is usually placed for laparoscopic surgery. Essentially he is 'standing on his head' and this position can create damage to the nerves, especially when the procedure was a drawn out one as yours was.

I'll bet London to a brick that your scan is clear and that your PSA is low.

Hope you didn't get caugt up in the floods this weekend.

All the best

Terry

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS