Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vasectomy

Anyone ever consider there might be a realtionship between having a vasectomy and developing prostate cancer?
How many of you have had a vasectomy?

Re: Vasectomy

Aloha R Lehman,

Personally don't think that there is a link between vasectomy and PCa.

I had a vasectomy in 1997, PCa diagnosed in 2007, about 10 years later.
Joe

Just a thought.
My husband had a vasectomy in 1976.
He was diagnosed in 2004. It will be 7 years this April. I worked in the medical profession for many years. Just wondering if there could be some sort of connection for certain prostate cancers.
PS
We visited Hawaii last spring. It was beautiful.

Aloha R. Lehman,
The next time you visit the Big Island, let us know ahead of your visit. You can use e-mail or this web-site. We give you a tour of our coffee farm.
Joe

This question is raised quite often.

To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence (although there are several studies) that show any connection between vasectomy procedures and prostate cancer.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Well here is a recent study that concludes that there is no risk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2582972/?tool=pubmed

Vasectomy and Risk of Prostate Cancer
Sarah K. Holt,1 Claudia A. Salinas,1,2 and Janet L. Stanford1,2

I couldn't find a recent study that said there is. On the other hand my own survey of one person (me) would suggest there is a very strong correlation.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS