Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Avodart as standalone therapy for prostate cancer

I have been on active surveillance with my Gleasons 6 cancer for 4 years. At biopsy I had a 0.5mm microfocus in 1 of 6 cores in 2006 and a 1.0mm scrap of cancer in 1 of 20 cores in 2008. PSA was 5.26 on diagnosis in 2006 and up to 6.83 in 2010, but now down to 6.28 this month. So I figure that my cancer is no big deal, especially with my 100 cc prostate volume being responsible for most of my PSA.

And as for my large prostate volume, it has been giving me a bit of grief recently with urinary urgency and frequency, especially getting up at least 3 times at night. To help with this I have just this week started taking Avodart (actually a generic Dutasteride from India).

I am also hoping, and almost expecting, that the Avodart will give a positive effect on my cancer progression. I have read as much as I can on Avodart and see that it is beneficial for BPH with prostate volume reduction, has been shown in trials to lower the risk of a prostate cancer diagnosis in previously undiagnosed men by 23%, and is used as the third drug in an ADT3 therapy for advanced cancer along with drugs like Zoladex and Casodex.

There is plenty written about how Avodart reduces by up to 90% the conversion of testosterone into DHT (dihydrotestosterone) which is the most potent driver of prostate cancer cell growth. And although there are some libido and other side effects, by all accounts, these are nowhere near as severe as with the LHRH and anti-androgen drugs.

Despite this, I can find almost nothing that recommends or condones the use of Avodart as a standalone drug to slow down the growth of low volume, low grade prostate cancer so that, with a bit of luck, radical treatment might never be needed. Ever.

Is anyone using, or know anyone who is using Avodart as a single therapy by itself and can anyone comment on any adverse side effects they have personally suffered using Avodart.

Also it is documented that after about 4 to 6 months one's PSA is reduced by about 50%. Does anyone have personal experience about PSA reduction on Avodart alone (not Proscar) and how long it took to reach an Avodart nadir.

Thanks and all the best from Brian Watts in Australia.

Re: Avodart as standalone therapy for prostate cancer

Seems to be pros and cons and on going debates on this, maybe try web searches for cons to see that perspective. Talk about staying on it longer (like over one year) may influence PCa as to future aggression..."I don't know if that is correct either".
It does seems to work, the fact that Dr. Leibowitz uses longer term control with proscar in patients after doing ADT3 drugs for 13 months, then proscar only for maintenance is found to be useful. Proscar is not as potent as Avodart (fyi) but comparable.

I know a guy whom had 15 yrs. ago Gleason (2+3)=5 and psa of 11.0 and 2 positive cores found. His only treatment was ADT3 Leibowitz method, used proscar for years and years, he has been rebiopsied a number of times and nothing has been found, even lately used Dr. Lee with color doppler ultrasound guided biopsies and nothing found even in the 'red' suspecious area. He is not cured, but has fabulous control and normalcy as a man. So, for a lower stats person is this protocol insane? He didn't do surgery or radiation? I contact him from time to time, he is elated with his quality of life and results. Works for him anyway. So, question everything on PCa and be open to look at things. You may have to decide for yourself. Hope you enjoyed the reply.

Don't be afraid to look at other drugs if you need further control, Dr. Lee used emcyt on himself and got fabulous results for a failed PCa patient, he is living at year 27 since diagnosis, failed cure 25 yrs. ago, now age 80 and still working some.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS