Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hormone Therapy Now?

My current PSA is 0.29 and I'm waiting to be scheduled for IMRT.
While waiting should I take Lupron, Casodex etc?
What dosage and for what period of time would you take these drugs?
Is there a downside to taking it now?
I know these drugs don't kill PC cells, so how
do these drugs lower the PSA?
Thanks to everyone who's answered my previous questions.
Doug

Re: Hormone Therapy Now?

Doug, you say I know these drugs don't kill PC cells, so how do these drugs lower the PSA?

Current theory is that ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) does result in the death of prostate cancer cells that depend on dihydrotesterone (DHT) for their growth. Taking ADT drugs therefore DOES kill some prostate cancer cells abut current theory is that cancer cells that are deprived of DHT can become androgen independent and will then continue to grow.

That may well be the case, although if you look through the stories on the site, you will find some men who have used ADT and then stopped who have never had a recurrence – essentially they were ‘cured’. One that comes to mind being DOUG ADAMS . He was diagnosed in 1991 at the age of 48 with a Gleason 10 disease. After failed surgery and EBRT (External Beam Radiation Treatment) he was on ADT until 1997 when he stopped the therapy. At last report he was still well and considering retiring so he could spend more time in the Greek islands.

Now Doug and others like him may be regarded as exceptions to the rule, but they do illustrate the point that these drugs do kill cancer cells.

Like so many other aspects of prostate cancer there is no agreement and no good scientific evidence that taking ADT drugs prior to EBRT makes any real difference in the outcome. Some argue that the drugs make the cells more susceptible to radiation damage and therefore there is less chance of the cells recovering; others argue that using ADT too soon creates androgen independent cells earlier and can lead to the EBRT failing.

All the best

Terry Herbert in Australia

Hi Terry, thanks for explaining that for me.

Now tell me if you've ever heard of this one.
I was referred to radiation oncologist at a major hospital in my city. He looked at my PSA results
(reminder april, 0.04;june 0.07; sept 0.11 and then
jan 0.29)and he recommended IMRT or 3D-CRT and he ordered up blood tests. That was on Monday. Monday
I call because I'm worried about my PSA velocity
and the receptionist tells me that my PSA is <0.10.
I told them they must be wrong and I went in and did the test again on Tuesday and the results came back
again as <0.10. So I went to my original hospital and had the test yesterday and today they tell me that my PSA is down to 0.07???
So was the original 0.29 and aberation or is the 0.07 an aberation?
In the mean time I'm planning for RT and I'll run my PSA's at both institutions every 2 weeks.
However if my PSA stays below .10 I might not go for RT.
Thanks,
Doug

Doug,

You've highlighted a number of issues revolving around the problems with the PSA test and why it is so contentious.

Because PSA is NOT prostate cancer specific it is a rather poor guide as to what is happening as far as prostate cancer is concerned. There are other aspects of the human physiology that can and do affect PSA numbers. This is more marked in a man who has his gland than in a man who has had surgery, but there can be odd variances at any time.

It is not my place to ever give specific advice to people because I am not qualified to do so, but I do feel that there is often a reaction that is too early and too large to what may well be nothing that will ever become life threatening. Ultra-sensitive tests are, in my opinion, the cause of much unneccessary stress and concern.

I assume you have read PSA 101 and the links off that page? Even if you have you might lke to re-read it now.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Terry,
I hope you're correct and I will read PSA 101.
Thanks,
Doug

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS