Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YANA is back in business

Well, I am back and Yana is now open for business again. You can share your PCA experience by going to JOIN US or, if you have already told your story, you can update it at UPDATE YOUR STORY

The planned changes on the site are not yet quite complete, but the initial ones will make it a good deal easier for me to deal with the data and will also make access by visitors simpler – and hopefully quicker. For the time being, things continue as they were.

I uploaded some of the updates in early December before I went on vacation, the rest have been done today or yesterday.

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

The Good News is that reports of the passing of DEREK BIRD have been greatly exaggerated. When he did not respond to a reminder, I feared the worst, but although he is far from well, with his PSA heading North of 200 ng/ml he didn’t respond to me because he was in hospital with a broken leg. He has now been discharged but is feeling rather poorly.

Regrettably, two other members passed on with notifications coming in while I was away:

TIM KEEFER diagnosed aged 50 in 2008 with metastasized disease with a Gleason Score of 8 and a PSA of 375 ng/ml passed on in October last year

PAUL S diagnosed aged 51 in 2009 with metastasized disease with a Gleason Score of 9 and a PSA of 362 ng/ml passed on earlier this month

RICHARD A chose RALP (Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy) with adjuvant IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) and ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) for a T3 GS 7 diagnosis

UPDATES FROM MEMBERS:

ERIC SONDEEN decided to try Degarelix after his failed HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) and ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy)

DAVE H just had his third biopsy in 12 months – no change in diagnosis so he continues his (AS) Active Surveillance

LENNY HIRSCH Gold Four Star Member and just over 14 years after his diagnosis, having tried a number of therapies to control his disease, he is now headed for EBRT (External Beam Radiation Therapy)

DOUG HARVEY with a PSA of 0.29 ng/ml after RP (Radical Prostatectomy) he is looking for advice on radiologists to carry out his salvage EBRT (External Beam Radiation Therapy)

NED G has persuaded his urologist to support (AS) Active Surveillance despite his age of 46 at diagnosis

NEW LINK

While I was away Dr Gerald Chodak produced two publications. One is what has been termed a Vook - described as an innovation in reading that blends a well-written book, high-quality video and the power of the Internet into a single, complete story. The title of this Vook is PROSTATE
CANCER: REDUCING YOUR RISKS at http://vook.com/prostate-cancer-reducing-your-risks.html. The second publication is a book WINNING
THE BATTLE AGAINST PROSTATE CANCER GET THE TREATMENT THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU at http://www.demosmedpub.com/prod.aspx?prod_id=9781936303038. I think both are excellent publications and would be very helpful, especially for newly diagnosed men. These publications are linked on the RESOURCES page of the site

Anyone interested in seeing where we went for our vacation can see some of my pictures here WHITE CHRISTMAS TOUR

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS