Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Urine in JP-Bulb

Aloha Chris,
I'm sorry you find yourself in this position. There is not much information to respond to here. Did you have talks with the surgen/uro doc prior to surgery? How did that go? Was he responsive? How many operations has this doc performed?
When thing go wrong, doc's often become more vague and are harder to pin down. I'd suggest making an appt to discuss your fathers case or be there when the doc makes his rounds. Be firm, stand between him/her and the door. Don't let the doc leave until he explains what you do not understand. Just keep saying you don't understand until you do understand what he is talking about.
This web site can be used to find other men who have had the same procedure. E-mail them. Ask if what your father is going through is normal. It sounds as if there are unforeseen - un-discussed problems.
It takes a lot of blood, almost like unstopping hemorrage in the urinary track to be serious. Often I pass 5 to 10 cc of dried blood. It looks bad, but it is not. This much blood makes me sick to my stomach, but I am still going.
Hope your father improves,
Keep in touch, chin up, do not let the doc out of the room, he/she owes you an explanation you can understand,
Joe

Re: Urine in JP-Bulb

Urine in the bulb is often an indication of disruption in the urethra anastamosis or reattachment. Remember that the prostatic urethra is removed when the prostate is removed so that the penile and bladder urethra must be connected in order for urine to escape. (The reason why there is a lost in penile length.) The foley catheter is left in place for usually a week so that those two segments can attach. If you can imagine a tube being sewn to another tube then you can see that if a suture did not fully pull the tissue together there may be an opening that allows urine to escape into the abdominal cavity. As long as the urine escapes the body, very little problem.

Why is it leaking now and not immediately after surgery: the swelling around the urethra is diminishing. Your doctors will hope that the healing will take care of the leak rather than having to do something surgical. A point is that straining to have a bowel movement can be not good for urethra healing. Push your doctors to explain things in plain terms until you fully understand. Write down the words or terms that they use. Write down the questions you want to ask so that you don't forget.

Good Luck, Miguel

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS