Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psa question

Many Oncologists look for a psa of no more than 0.1 - 0.2 for those with prostate removed.
On hormone treatment it should be ideally undetectable i.e. below 0.1.

Sometimes, the addition of Casodex to the injection will bring psa down.

" Shot six months ago " " Another two weeks ago "

Monthly or three monthly shots are considered more reliable than longer term ones I gather.

Most oncologists specializing in PC like to see psa go to .05 and stay there for at least three months. If Lupron is not doing this then you can add Casodex and proscar.
JohnT

Had RALP on 1/21/10,first PSA three months later was 10.3.After six months of HT (firmagon)PSA 0.1 for four months.I expect 12/22/10 will be last injection for awhile.

Trying to give any kind of answer to a question like this is simply not possible because we know too little about unknow and his diagnosis and therapy.

He says had prosate removed couple yrs back How long is a ‘couple of years’? What was the original diagnosis? What was the post operative pathology report? How old is unknow?

6 months ago got my first hormone shot, psa went down from 8.0 to 1.18 We can assume from this that his surgery failed and that he had a rising PSA. But when did the PSA start rising? How quickly was it rising? It is unusual to wait until there is a PSA of 8.0 ng/ml before starting salvage therapy. Was any other therapy – EBRT (External Beam Radiation Treatment) for example – considered or carried out? What was the ‘first hormone shot’? There are many drugs used for ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy), so which did unknow’s doctor use?

got another shot 2 weeks ago, got the blood test and my psa is back up 3.0 This is strange. I do not know of any normal ADT protocol that has a second ‘shot’ after six months. But what was the PSA level before the second shot? Is the PSA level back up or down a bit from that level? What was the second ‘shot’? Was it the same drug as the first? Why the delay in having the second shot?

what is the normal psa for someone without a prostate on hormone shots? How long is a piece of string? There is no ‘normal’ but it may be possible to suggest a level that is in line with those levels shown by study and experience if we know more detail about the man, his diagnosis, his treatment and his history. Without that data there can be no useful information, in my opinion.

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS