Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ratio of Index/Ring finger and risk of PCa

Don't know if anyone saw the news today of a report linking risk of PCa to index/ring finger ratios, but I've blogged about it here (http://dplivingwell.blogspot.com).

Would be interesting to carry out a straw poll, and to see particularly if any PCa men out there buck the trend and have index fingers longer than their ring finger!

Re: Ratio of Index/Ring finger and risk of PCa

I'd love to see the details of this study rather than a media release. I liked this quote from someon who, presumably has read the study:

....Ed Yong, Cancer Research UK's head of health information, said: 'Finger length ratios have been linked to all sorts of things before with little evidence that measuring these ratios will ever actually be useful.

'For example, this very small study finds an association between finger length ratio and prostate cancer risk, but tells us nothing about whether the ratio can be used to reliably predict that risk.'

On the other hand, THE DANGERS OF BREAD should not be overlooked :-)

Happy Christmas everyone!!

All the best

Terry in Australia

Terry:
I'd also like to see the actual study. But, if there is a connection between testosterone in the womb and finger length, then one could see a sort of logic. Maybe, Possibly. And the sample size wasn't SO small...

If we had a rush of PCa sufferers with elongated index fingers then we know it was total BS, but until then, I'll keep an open mind!

(Besides which, it makes a good conversation starter to get men to get their PSA checked!)

Perhaps it means that those with larger/longer index fingers become Urologists! Yikes!! :-)

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS