Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Frightened British Boy.

Perhaps I can add my two penn'orth as someone who had a similar diagnosis - see my Yana record.

First thing I would say to Frightened British Boy is that I would attach greater credence to what a medical oncologist advised than a Urology generalist. Second point, you should have joint management of your case (as I have) by the two disciplines - that is UK best practice and I would kick up until you get it. Third, see the Advanced Prsotate Cancer website for a recent posting about the overwhelming evidence in favour of a combination of EBRT and ADT prolonging life expectancy in cases of locally advanced PCa like yours and mine. Even a Urologist must know this! Fourthly, know that mostly ADT has a time-limited efficacy and PSA will probably start to rise after a couple of years. But there can be false rises (or bounces) I had one as my record shows. You may well notice this too.

Finally, as my post shows, the Oncology advice to one whose most recent PSA reading was 1.2 was "don't worry, it will be years before you need to worry about your PCa". A change from 0.2 to 0.3 doesn't mean a thing. You have responded well to treatment with ADT as I did. Don't be frightened. The time for that in your case is a couple of year later than it will be for me and that's a long way off!

Usual caveats about a layman's opinion apply but if a chat with one who has been longer on your path than you would help, email me directly and give me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

David

Re: Frightened British Boy.

Godday Chap and fellow bloke (probably you have joined the club of ex-stiffy meister's in fighting PCa- LOL). Hey minor psa flips at this juncture are not that worrisome, I got psa's even monthly for a while when I lived in the Twilight/Panic Zone early on in my high risk scenario, like yours. I did ADT3 drugs for 2 yrs. and then switched drugs. Well I am 8.5 years since original emergency room for total urinary blockage caused by PCa and lousy stats. So, my advice is look ahead at further drug protocols for possible options and choices as you will likely need to or want to switch at some juncture.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS