Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Des

I'm now facing the prospect of further treatment after failed surgery and failed radiation treatment. PSA is now 1.3.
I have read on this discussion board that at least one person has successfully used this treatment over a number of years.It appears that des is no longer used by many countries, is this because it carries extra risks ?

Re: Des

The patent ran out on this when Lupron showed up on the scene. You can still get it in the USA or abroad it is man made compounded drug now (no patent). Contrary to the naysayers the Journal of Urology Article those docs found it safe in 1-mg and very effective. Since I have used this over like 5 yr. time span and still using it, I am not a theory guy or a naysayer from the old VACBURG VA useage which showed it had bad side effects in some people..to much doseage, their clotting risks never measured, no aspirin or coumadin(blood thinner). This is where all the naysayers and bad P.R. came from and then the golden calf...Lupron (yes useful..very expensive and profittable, long term it has very nasty effects including bone fractures and spinal compression of which that can lead even to fecal incontinence..seldom mentioned too).

The cost is the cheapest form of PCa fighting I have ever seen, more effective that than ADT3 (cause I did that for 2 yrs. and measured psa often and other effects). Others in this category estradiol gel or patches and emcyt drug which Dr. Lee is using and is a 27 yr. survivor of incureable PCa (let's dismiss estrogenic drugs as junk????????). Your choice, in my useage I find it wonderful, bone density not ruined, memory not ruined...I really don't have any side effects to mention, occassional breast tenderness almost not worth mentioning.

Now others can tell you how you will have a blood clot or dvt while using it, of course they are not a doctor nor have used such. But because a book said so somewhere, they are now sure of such facts. Read what Dr. Walsh has to say about it in his book (surprised to see him more or less endorse using it as a urologist this is unprecedented compared to other uros, but he is a huge cut above).

People should look at everything with open minds as you have choices. If Dr. Lee is a fool for using his estrogenic (emcyt) much longer than my useage, consider me a disciple of this master. Do you think the man whom invented cryo therapy and master of color doppler imaging and biopsies, would gamble on the wrong choice of a drug to fight PCa. He may be the longest living known mets patient, which was written by his Uro-Doc friend and I post the reference history weblink on this forum not long ago, read it if you like good PCa stories.

Bottom line is use whatever drug you can find to fight this beast, if it works well and you can handle the side effects...then think long and hard before switching to another. Realize there are more choices than one particular doctor may offer or endorse, your choice again.

Re: Des

Thanks Bob for a very comprehensive reply, I have read your profile with great interest and hope you continue to keep your psa levels under control.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS