Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When does Casodex Stop Affecting PSA scores?

Hi everyone,
I had triple treatment (Casodex as neo-adjuvant) then Single dose HDR Brachy, then short course of EBRT, followed by a further month of casodex. All this ended beginning of June. My first PSA was 2 weeks after coming off Casodex (150 mg): 0.24. Cue cautious celebration, but I suspected the hormones were still swirling around the system, artificially lowering PSA.

I just got my most recent PSA score: 0.45. Theoretically doubled, but from a very low base and now 2 months after stopping Casodex.

I'm not overly worried about the rise - I was told to expect it. But is it safe to assume the Casodex has left the building, or can I expect another rise yet?

I guess there's no real 'pattern' to any of this and that we're all experiments of one, but hope some of you can shed light on the influence post-treatment of Casodex on PSA.

Re: When does Casodex Stop Affecting PSA scores?

It takes about five weeks for Casodex to leave the system. Half life is 37 days.

Thanks - it must be well clear by now!

Errr.....if the half life of Casodex is 37 days, then it is not clear of the system in 37x2=74 days. At 74 days there will be 25% of the Casodex still in circulation, as I understand the issue.

See the WIKIPEDIA DEFINITION

All the best

Terry in Australia

Terry is right about the half-life definition but it is listed as 5.8 days on rxlist dot com.

The drug can be effective for a lot longer depending on how it works. LHRH drugs like Zoladex start dropping in concentration in the blood within 3 days of the end of the drug going in to the bloodstream but it is effective over a very wide range of time from 3 months to permanent. I haven't seen any study on Casodex but it seems to work in a similar way but on the androgen receptors directly.

If the half life of Casodex is 5.8 days, then it will be down to 1% of its initial concentration after 6.5 half lives, or 37 days.

I have had no experience with Casodex, but 3 years ago I had a 10.8 mg (12 week) Zoladex implant for prostate volume reduction purposes. My PSA reached its minimum 12 months after the implant and I didn't regained my original PSA for another 15 months, that is a full 27 months after the implant.

Brian in Oz

Quite right, I got the figure wrong on the half-life. Should be 5.8 days

"On daily administration, the (R)-enantiomer accumulates about 10-fold in plasma, consistent with an elimination half-life of approximately 1 week."

So the 37 days is the correct figure.

For an anti-androgen withdrawal response ( seeing if psa will drop after stopping a round of Casodex ), up to eight weeks before testing is usually suggested.

OK, thanks guys. I think I followed that! If it's 37 days then it was comfortably out of my system. Even if it were 8 weeks, I'd almost be clear of it.

That said, I still have some swelling in the breasts, (though nothing like the do-I-get-a-sports-bra stage I was at) so perhaps the last traces are lingering?

very simple--when your cancer becomes androgen independent (stops feeding off testosterone) the casodex did its job up to that point.. James

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS