Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Estradiol Patches?

I've dropped him a line inviting him to see this post, but he is a very busy man and I do not expect him to have the time to monitor Forums such as these.

It would be good if he did.

Terry

I talked to Dr. Premoli way back and glad I did. Patches or estradiol gel can be effective and looks like less risk maybe. (exception as always in PCa)- I knew of a guy Harryakrie forum name whom got a DVT using patches, so nothing is guaranteed. However, his risk factors for blood clots might have been totally ignored by his doc, I am not sure he got an INR Pro-time coagulation blood test and maybe I think he did not use aspirin or coumadin, either. One of the leaders of UsToo is on year 5+ on estradiol useage. You will love this compared to LHRH or casodex...side effects.

Don't forget about emcyt (estramustine), Dr. Fred Lee has been using this one for along time and is 27 yrs. PCa survivor. Dr. Bob Baladament his friend (surgeon guy) says Dr. Lee is 25 yrs. with know PCa spread (mets), he said at a seminar meeting, I had him repeat that message to be clear on that statement. Results are priceless.

Maybe not the time to monitor forums Terry, however, would he consider a summery of his work/thoughts that you could put up on the site.

Either a summery or a list of Q & A on the subject.
Just a thought.
I'm sure we could come up with some questions between us.

Regards
Rob

Good thinking, Rob.

How about anyone interested coming up with some questions and I can then ask Dr Premoli to provide answers when he has time and I can post the resultant answers in the ADT section of the site.

So....over to you blokes. Post your questions here.

Terry Herbert

Terry (and Rob):
What a great idea! Let me start out -

I understand that one uses several patches at once. Seems like a problem taking showers, etc.

How do poeple cope with this?

(2) Somewhere I read that some men use the gel on the scrotum area. Does this work as well a the patches?

Don K.

O.K. Thanks very much Terry.

Here's my first ones.

1) Does the Gleason score affect the dose required ?

2) Does the Gleason score affect the length of time the treatment might be effective for ?
In other words: Is this more successful with lower Gleason grades or is there little difference ?

3) Does the original staging affect results ?
Do those with bone mets or lymph involvement for example, expect much poorer results ?

4) Do younger men ( say 50 - 65 ) have equal expected response to the treatment. Or is this more successful for the elderly cases, where the natural testosterone production may have decreased ?

5) I understand that the patches remove the danger of thrombosis due to by-passing metabolism by the liver; but I wondered if any liver function changes or other reactions have been observed ?

6) Does the history of PSA doubling time affect the outcome or durability of the treatment ?

7) Is there a role for using the patches as part of Intermittent Hormone Treatment using testosterone blockers etc.? For use on the Off-period when LHRH and/or anti-androgens such as Casodex are discontinued for a while.

8) When is the optimum time in the normal progression of treatments for prostate cancer to initiate the patches ? Earlier the better or as a second or third line treatment ?

9) This treatment best before chemotherapy or better results afterwards ?

10) I understand that the patches may also be effective for what is called androgen independent P.Ca.( or androgen resistant). Is this verified by any of your findings ?

I just read an article on the web concerning Johnson & Johnson patches (used for birth control) in which at least one death was recorded due to DVT.

It is known that this patch "Ortho Evra" contains an unusual high dose of estrogen.

My question is: What particular brand of patch should one use who is contemplating estradial therapy?

Don K.

I have seen other men use: climara or vivelle brands

I don't claim to know alot on this, I have talked to Dr. Premoli in the past and have seen others get results using patches or gel. Side effects should be minimal, I have used DES 1-mg for years, sometime intermittent and still using it...since is has outperformed my ADT3 with psa results and side effects, since these are in the estrogenic family...should be some overlapp. It will cancel side effects of Lupron, like hot flashes and sweats, it did so in me within like 10 days or so way back in 2004 era.

Example of costs in USA dollars but bought from Canada:
Climara generic version 50 mcg 8 patches= $30
Vivelle .025/24hr. 40 count= $150

Could be twice that in USA, insurance might pay for all of it anyway.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS