Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diet and Supplements

Gidday Joe, here is a short transcript from William Li
"What is the evidence in people that eating certain foods can REDUCE angiogenesis in cancer? Well, the best example I know is a study of 79,000 men, followed over 20 years, in which it was found that men whom consumed cooked tomatoes two to three times a week had up to a 50 percent reduction in their RISK of developing prostate cancer."

My understanding of diet is that it will NOT cure an existing cancer, for me, diet is a "self care" preventitive measure AFTER treatment.

Here is a quote from Assoc Prof Prem Rashid in his book "Prostate Cancer" page 18.
"Dietry issues relate to long term risk more than what happens after a cancer is diagnosed. Some men feel the need to alter their diet after the diagnosis but there is no evidence that it affects their prostate cancer"

"Lycopene, the red pigment in tomatoe, is a powerful carotenoid. It is a strong antioxidant and has been found to lower the risk of cancer"...page 22 he then cites three studies that supports this position.

From Prof Richard Beliveau's book, "Foods that fight Cancer"

"Tomatoes, the prostates best friend, should be seen as a food that belongs to an overall strategy of cancer prevention through diet"...page 156, he then cites 3 further studies to support this position.

So all in all I also ate tomatoes regularly, and brussels sprouts, broccoli etc yet wound up in the "barb wire canoe without a paddle" Yup I have altered my diet and I can say for the better it wasn't what I stopped eating but rather what I began to eat, like a glass of red wine in the evenings, dark chocolate, asian, indian, italian, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, etc etc etc, my family thinks it's like eating at a resaurant most nights.

I just want to live, restore my health and do whatever it takes to keep cancer at bay for as long as I can for my family.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS