Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two steps to metastasis

When I recently visited my oncologist he had a perspective regarding metastasis that was new to me. In essence he said that some current researchers believe that prostate cancer has two significant hurdles to overcome in order to metastasize. First it has to leave the prostate and get out of the local area. That would be via the lymphatic or blood systems. And second it has to colonize somewhere else, most likely in the bones. The new point (for me) is that he indicated there may be substantial difficulty in successfully colonizing.

Perhaps this colonizing difficulty is where nutrition and overall healthfulness can play a large role for us patients. That is only speculation on my part.

Re: Two steps to metastasis

We have one of the first known cases of mets to a PCa patients brain, the leading oncologists (PCRI-group guys), believe it was because the amount of success this patient has had with various and multiple PCa protocols over many years in controlling his cancer. The patient is at year 17 in his battle and is very informed on about any protocol available and has done alot of them.

Another point- Dr. Israel Barken has coined the term 'micro mets' a few years ago, and it explains failures in patients even 10 yrs. out. Truth is PCa can be to small of an amount, to be found on our scanning methods, no matter which ones are used. Some docs will tell you how limited the scans are, others will not and plenty of scanning is done on patients in vain and very profittable in the process, as Dr. Strum says, alot of wasted medical dollars on scanning and could be spent better. Scanning patients with levels of PCa that are close to the definition of indolent.....total waste and they won't be found with mets. It goes on all the time it seems.

Re: Two steps to metastasis

I've read that the lower grade escaped cells have trouble colonizing but it is much easier for the higher grade cancer cells to set up a colony. Important to maintain a strong immune system and to drink Pomegranite juice.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS