Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A case for better information

Aloha,
I had a short span of trying to address this problem. I'm afraid that after thinking about it, I gave up. The problem, getting information to the man, after prostate cancer diagnosis is impossible without the help of the medical community. In all my visits to my HMO for appointments, I've only been next to a man, going for a biopsy (different island)one time. And he was only headed for a prostate biopsy. I did not feel it appropriate to say anything at this point. There is appropriate literature lining the walls and tables as you exit the clinic, including the "US TOO" pamphlets.
How do you get information to men that have been just diagnosed? How do you find out who has been told they have PCa?
It boils down to the man. As in my case, no one took me aside and said "Joe, it is like this, you will suffer from side affects ...." Would I have listen to anyone else. My first introduction to the information available was the internet. This can be very confusing. It took a while to find web pages like yananow.net and that was after the treatment was completed.
Joe

Re: A case for better information

As usual Terry is on the cutting edge, the information this site provides was instrumental in my decision process. It seems until the effects and causes of this disease are better understood we are only making best guesses on how to proceed. Thank you Terry for your relentless pursuit of the truth and for providing the knowledge that has given us at least some intelligence when we attempt to treat this disease.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS