Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When to Restart Intermittent Hormone Therapy based on PSA score?

I have been on Intermittent Hormone therapy since Feb 2007. I have been on meds (Lupron, Casodex, Zometa)for 22 months and off meds for 24 months. There have been 2 vacations (off cycles)which I am currently on the second vacation which started December 30th 2009.
My PSA is on the rise, doubling every 15.6 days. Last reading was 7/09/2010 at 22.9 compared to 6.1 on 5/24/2010. My last vacation ended when my PSA rose to 16.5 so as you can see I am past that now.

Obviously I am trying to extend the effectiveness of Hormone therapy as long as possible, not to mention I am not anxious to restart the meds which I find increasingly difficult to tolerate. Whats the number? I have talked to several Oncologists and Urologists and most have been vague when it comes to determining when to restart. Anyone out there have advice they have received from their sources? I would really like some other opinions. With this doubling time, I'm hesitant to wait since bone pain is returning, Although it is currently okay with motrin, where is the cut off point?

Re: When to Restart Intermittent Hormone Therapy based on PSA score?

Bill,

We are all different and so are our medical teams, but if your PSA has tripled in only 2 months then, in my opinion (not medical person) your PCa seems to be very aggressive and you are in need of immediate treatment, be it ADT or whatever is deemed necessary. I have been on Lupron 3 monthly depot 22.5ml injections continuously for over 8 years, Cosidex was thrown into the mix when my PSA doubled, then when it started to double last October, I was told that, other than Chemo, there were no other conventional treatments. I did not wish to undergo Chemo and my Medical Oncologist agreed with me. He suggested that I apply for a place in an experimental drug trial, which I agreed to undertake. I was weaned off Cosidex, but continued with the Lupron injections.
I seem to be doing well on the drug trial, which I started in February this year.
You can read my story at http://www.yananow.net/Mentors/JohnF3.htm

I strongly suggest that you contact your Medical Team as soon as possible.

Good Luck,

John
Australia.

Re: When to Restart Intermittent Hormone Therapy based on PSA score?

You are not clear about your off period. Do you continue with the Zometa shots? These should not be stopped once you have mets.
Your run away PSA must be brought under control. Are you seeing an onco who specializes with PCA? If not find one. An expert should be able to get your psa under control
Good Luck
Lenny
Israel

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS