Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
numb face

I did post on here a few months ago abt my father & got some excellent replies , a short summary my dad aged 60 was diagnosed with PCA in Sept 09 his PSA was over 300 , he was put on 3 mth hormone injections & some pills for 2 weeks before the 1st injection , abt Feb this yr his pain really increased couldnt walk etc , PSA test was done over 2000 !!! given radiation to legs , put on morphine patch still has injection but also started chemo in April combined with steroid , he has being doing quite well considering helped by the morphine & frequent blood transfusions, a couple of weeks ago the left side of his face went numb and his lip is very swollen as he is biting it when he eats , no feeling has come back but the numbness hasnt spread , he has had scan of head last wk & we are waiting results , he has not had his PSA tested since he has been on the chemotherapy , the docs have mentioned it may be tumours in his skull pressing on nerves, can anyone offer me any info as to the likelihood or how they would treat this ?? on his last scan at diagnosis the tumours were widespread ie spine , thighs , ribs, sternum etc he is so , so brave and considering everything still has quite a god qualtiy of life & lives for us and his young grandchildren , this illness is so unfair there were no symptoms & it is so aggresive ,thanks

Re: numb face

Kirstie,

Very sorry to hear about your father and his problems.

Chemotherapy (and rarely) androgen deprivation therapy can lead to neuropathy and that may be what the problem is with your father. It is very difficult to treat that.

It is also very possible that there are tumours causing problems with his nervous system either in his skull or elsewhere. Perhaps the scans will show something and, if they do, it may be that it is possible to treat any tumours by radiation or veen surgery.

I think you have to face the possibility that your father is entering the last lap of his very difficult journey and wonder if you have considered contacting your local hospice. From all reports the comfort that a hospice can provide to all parties is very valuable indeed.

Terry in Australia

Re: numb face

Thank you for your response , it has today been confirmed it has spread to the skull & they have suspended chemo whilst they do 5 days radiotherapy, noy my dad didnt ask & neither did i as he obviously doesnt want to know but in anydodys opinion will they start the chemo again do you think ? my dad is coping with it very well tired for a few days after but then back to normal, considering how widespread it is , he is in little pain with the morphine, still very mobile, even mowing the lawn last week & eating quite well, I know that we are not in a good situation & have read the guidelines on the internet which recommend stopping the chemo if there are signs of progression which there obviously are but considering how 'well' he is would they take that into account ??

Any replies will be helpful even if only your thoughts/experiences

Still hoping & praying xx

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS