Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First PSA after Radiation Therapy

Just had my first PSA result after RT and it's 0.21 the same as before I started RT.
Is that good or bad?
Thanks
Rene

Re: First PSA after Radiation Therapy

When did you complete your radiation therapy? It usually takes some time for the effects to be seen on PSA tests. You'll see if you read the experiences of men who have had EBRT as their primary treatament that their nadir - the lowest PSA reading - can sometimes take two years or even more.

Terry in Australia

Sorry Terry, forgot to mention that RT was after failed Da Vinci and that I finished Radiation 5 weeks ago. Does that make a difference?
Cheers
Rene

Three months after my Proton Treatment my PSA went from pretreatment 4.1 to post treatment 0.14. The after 6 month it went to 0.49. I thought....uh oh...why is PSA going up. I talked to the nurse and read a little from Terry's guide "A Strange Place." At the end of my Proton treatment I also had a 30 day injection of Lupron. The effects of this were lingering stronger after 90 days to keep my PSA down versus 120 days. The medicine was still in my system after my 3 month test according to the nurse. So the nurse said my "REAL" PSA was probably still coming down from the Proton treatment.

Also, per Terry's guide, a number of other factors can also affect PSA. Caffeine, alcohol and sex to mention a few. I have coffee every day and sex on a regular basis as well as red wine some evenings. I'll curtail all 3 before my next PSA test.

I may be wrong but I think that the best way to get an accurate indication is to look at a series of PSA results and not look at just one or as one might say a snapshot.

Good Luck!

Thanks Phil

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS